1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt (1/16 teaspoon)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup shelled pistachio nuts
2 tablespoons milk

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Process the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor for 5 seconds. Add the egg, butter, pistachios, and milk and process for another 6 to 8 seconds, until the dough starts coming together.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Transfer the dough to the sheet (don’t worry if it is still somewhat loose). Put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the dough and press it together into a log about 6 inches long, 3 inches wide, and 1 inch high. Remove the plastic.

Bake the log for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

Transfer the log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut it crosswise into 1/2-inch slices (10 to 12); do this gently, as the biscotti tend to crumble.

Arrange the slices flat on the lined baking sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for at least 30 minutes.

Recipe courtesy of Jacques Pepin

This looks terrific. I actually picked up biscotti from a bakery recently, and I have to say these look just as good. How shameful that I - a second generation Italian (pronounced EYE-talian) have never made biscotti before! I will need to change that.

These biscotti look very rich and much chunkier than the biscotti I know. That is a good thing! But believe me I'm no expert. I only ever made them once. The great thing about biscotti is that they last for ages and ages because they are twice cooked. I think I kept the ones I made for several months in a tin.

How shameful that I - a second generation Italian (pronounced EYE-talian) have never made biscotti before! I will need to change that.
Go for it! It's one of the easiest things in the world to do. The hardest part is probably making sure you're very, very gentle when slicing (with a serrated knife) after the first break. They'll be extremely crumbly.

These biscotti look very rich and much chunkier than the biscotti I know.
Thanks! These are probably close to what we get here, maybe a little shorter overall, as biscotti in coffee shops (and supermarket ones) are a good bit longer tip to top.

I'll say...I used the super-premium cocoa powder we bought at a chocolate shop in Pennsylvania recently. This stuff is so dark, it's almost black, and it's a dense powder, almost paste-like it's so thick.

Because of that, these are intensely chocolatey, and that little burnt edge is a nice little surprise.

Back
Top Bottom