Chocolate Using Maca Root and Cacao

The water is for a double boiler to melt the cacao, not to be added.
I wanted to make sure that Amateur1 was aware of that because a lot of their previous posts have included hot chocolate or chocolate flavour quinoa. The way I read it left me wondering.

Btw, I've actually trained in making handmade chocolates which I adapted to my dairy free needs.

A double boiler at its simplest is just a saucepan with a couple of inches of water in it set to simmer, and a little mixing bowl set atop, used to melt/cook things gently:

How to Make Your Own Double Boiler

Yep. Its described in the recipe you linked to Amateur1.
1. Melt the raw cacao butter in a heat proof bowl, by placing it in a pan filled with a small amount of water and then heating.

Except that I think there is a typo! It should read 'place it on a pan' not in a pan'.

Double boiler is the same as Bain Marie, isn´t it?
Which means water in a pan on the bottom, and another pan on top, without water.
Or am I lost in space?

Double boiler is the same as Bain Marie, isn´t it?
Which means water in a pan on the bottom, and another pan on top, without water.
Or am I lost in space?
Similar. Bain Marie are used for baking mostly and generally for lower even cooking while double boilers are for melting and sauces like bernaise, sabayon et al.

Just to add KK. A bain marie generally uses a hotel pan where ramekins or other baking containers are filled with a product and hot water is added to come up about half way up those containers. It assures even cooking with delicate ingredients. Creme Brule is a good example.

Thanks. I just put the cacao butter and water in a plain pan on the gas hob.
Can I put a normal ceramic bowl on top of my pan to create a double boiler or would pyrex be better? My pyrex is quite large and I want to work out whether I have something suitable to go on top of my pan.

No! You put water in a pan on the hob and then the cacao butter in a bowl over/on top of the pan. The whole idea is that the cacao butter in the bowl doesn't have contact with the hob directly. Yes, you can use any bowl that will fit over the top of the pan withouth touching the water underneath. A ceramic bowl will be OK.

Similar. Bain Marie are used for baking mostly and generally for lower even cooking while double boilers are for melting and sauces like bernaise, sabayon et al.

Yep! I've often heard people confuse them but although similar they aren't the same. For the recipe under discussion a double boiler (or a bowl over a saucepan of water) is the correct method - to allow the cacao butter to melt without curdling.

Can I put a normal ceramic bowl on top of my pan to create a double boiler or would pyrex be better? My pyrex is quite large and I want to work out whether I have something suitable to go on top of my pan.
You need to ensure that there is a gap for air to escape from the pan of water underneath the Pyrex or ceramic bowl. So stick a wooden spoon in between the saucepan and the bowl on top. I always use my Pyrex bowls for this. But you want a bowl that 1, doesn't touch the bottom at all, and 2 does actually go far enough down to allow all of the ingredients exposure to the gentle heat from the water below. It's a balancing act between too much heat and not enough and it's better to air on the side of caution.

But I still get the impression that you're expecting a liquid from this recipe (?).
I just put the cacao butter and water in a plain pan on the gas hob.

This recipe makes solid chocolate, not drinking chocolate. There is no water (or milk or equivalent) in this recipe as an ingredient, water only features as a heating tool. Is that actually what you are after, eating chocolate not drinking chocolate?

Back
Top Bottom