Recipe Chorozio Baked Beans

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
9:04 AM
Mod Edit: (copied from another thread).

Baked beans are never cooked for long enough before they’re tinned. IMO they need a long slow cook for the beans to soften a lot further than they usually are. So long that a lot of the original liquid has evaporated and you have to add water to loosen them again.

This Rachel Phipps recipe for homemade baked beans is really worth a go. My family who aren’t huge baked bean fans love these.

“Since making my own, I've never been able to eat tinned baked beans. Here the chorizo makes them a bit smokier and a bit more substantial in flavour. Even when I'm just cooking for myself, I like to make a big pan of these for a Sunday night supper on toast, perhaps with a fried egg, so there are then enough in the fridge for days when I need something a bit more hearty for breakfast. I also use them to make my Baked Egg & Homemade Baked Bean Pots (here), and a couple of spoonfuls are great with a full English breakfast.”

MAKES: 6 portions
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes

Ingredients
½ tablespoon light oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
200ml chicken stock (made with 1/2 stock cube)
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
a large pinch of golden caster sugar
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
8cm eating chorizo
2 * 400g tins cannellini beans

Method
  1. Add the oil and the onion to a large heavy-based saucepan and set it over a medium heat. Once the onion starts to sizzle, cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes until the garlic has softened. Meanwhile, cut the chorizo into small cubes.
  2. Add the chorizo to the pan and fry for 6 to 8 minutes until the oil has started to come out of the chorizo and it has gone a little crispy around the edges.
  3. Open the beans into a sieve and rinse under a cold tap. Add them to the pan, along with the stock, tomatoes, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, balsamic vinegar, sugar and a good few grinds of salt and pepper. Stir well and reduce the heat to low. Allow to simmer without a lid for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

References: Student Eats by Rachel Phipps (or online Chorizo Baked Beans)

Last edited:
What is "eating Chorizo"? Is it dry cured?
You can buy eating chorizo (usually just called chorizo) or ‘cooking chorizo‘ which is uncooked and needs cooking, it‘s the same as eating chorizo but is soft and a bit more banger like-

Waitrose & Partners

Eating Chorizo, sometimes also called dry chorizo -

Waitrose & Partners

Chorizo simply means " Sausage" in Spanish. I´d imagine she´s referring to cured (ie. dry) chorizo, or " chorizo seco" rather than fresh chorizo for frying or grilling.

Back
Top Bottom