Christmas cake

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
10:27 PM
We stopped the tradition of baking for friends when my Mum died. Before we moved I gave my loved collection of Alan Silverwood bake ware to one of the few local schools that had cooking classes.
We bought a 15 cm spring form for the pork pie and both agreed although it was late we would start today. We made the Cakes and Puddings at the latest in January.
First problem was to scale down the ingredients of a recipe that had developed with us over 15 years from a large imperial tin to a small metric. The tinternet solved that in seconds. We both like to pick over the dried fruit before we macerate it. It takes time but is worth it. I will post the pics through the day. We will make the marzipan and fondant icing from scratch and finish the cake about week commencing the 21st Dec.
Pic 1 Dried fruit macerated in Vintage Serbian Slivovitz
1606026825241.png

Okay so this is in real time, the cake should be ready in about two hours. If the raw mix is anything to go by it will be the dogs.
1606036163142.png
1606036186348.png
1606036211748.png
1606036250021.png
I will go for an internal temp of 99c so about 2 hrs it should be near. So I will test after about 100 minutes. We are a bit out of practice so I don't want to go by smell and look.

This is probably a silly question so forgive me in advance. What is the difference between your Christmas pudding and Christmas cake? In your posts about daily meals you sometimes add "and for pud..." which I took to mean pudding (or what we call dessert or after dinner treat), but now I'm confused given your photos of the Christmas pudding and Christmas cake.

This is probably a silly question so forgive me in advance. What is the difference between your Christmas pudding and Christmas cake? In your posts about daily meals you sometimes add "and for pud..." which I took to mean pudding (or what we call dessert or after dinner treat), but now I'm confused given your photos of the Christmas pudding and Christmas cake.

They are quite similar really. Pudding is served hot and is steamed. Cake is served cold and generally iced.

What does it mean when you use the word "pud"? I noticed it (IIRC) when you have pomegranate after dinner.
Wot the caped crusader said. It can also be used as a pejorative ie "you big pud" . Talking of big puds I do like a large trifle for desert.
1607406583139.png

Reactions: mjd
Wot the caped crusader said. It can also be used as a pejorative ie "you big pud" . Talking of big puds I do like a large trifle for desert.
View attachment 52189
I mentioned this last time it came up, but around here, "pud" (pronounced to rhyme with "bud") is also a euphemism for a gentleman's, um, tally-whacker.

Back
Top Bottom