Christmas - do you love it or hate it?

If I did that, they'd think that I'm being a jerk or being ungrateful. It's almost like going to a dinner or a party & finding out that the food is wrong. Would I say something or keep quiet? I'd keep quiet & just don't eat it. :whistling:
Shermie mate, Christmas was an irrelevance to me back in the day. If I was not leaving the country I would volunteer to cook in homeless shelters. I guarantee that you will enjoy it. You get more back than you put in.

I love Christmas and start to buy gifts and plan food stuff and decorations in early autumn. As a devoted Christian, I meditate on the spiritual side of Christmas too (despite all the glitter and commercial claptrap which I love). My parents divorced when I was four which led to all kinds of misery. At Christmas the stable and secure part of my family (mom, brother, stepfather, maternal grandmother etc.) gathered to decorate the Christmas tree, burn candles, make puzzles, read, spend relaxing days together and eat to our hearts' content. When growing up, Christmas was the time I could forget being the needy and complex brat who looked more like my father and reminded my mom and granny of my terrible father (a talented man but a greedy manipulator and an incorrigible womanizer who ended up marrying four times before dying of self-induced pancreatic cancer). Anyhow, since childhood Christmas has been the time to enjoy life to the fullest, so that's what I - or we - still do. ♫ Christmas time, mistletoe and wine...

This is the medieval church we go to if we feel like taking part in the Christmas sermon on Dec 24th (a contemporary custom in Finland). The only drawback is that this beautiful and ambient church (in a tiny nearby village) is always full to the brim at Christmas.
kirkko.jpg

Photo source

I love Christmas and start to buy gifts and plan food stuff and decorations in early autumn. As a devoted Christian, I meditate on the spiritual side of Christmas too (despite all the glitter and commercial claptrap which I love). My parents divorced when I was four which led to all kinds of misery. At Christmas the stable and secure part of my family (mom, brother, stepfather, maternal grandmother etc.) gathered to decorate the Christmas tree, burn candles, make puzzles, read, spend relaxing days together and eat to our hearts' content. When growing up, Christmas was the time I could forget being the needy and complex brat who looked more like my father and reminded my mom and granny of my terrible father (a talented man but a greedy manipulator and an incorrigible womanizer who ended up marrying four times before dying of self-induced pancreatic cancer). Anyhow, since childhood Christmas has been the time to enjoy life to the fullest, so that's what I - or we - still do. ♫ Christmas time, mistletoe and wine...

This is the medieval church we go to if we feel like taking part in the Christmas sermon on Dec 24th (a contemporary custom in Finland). The only drawback is that this beautiful and ambient church (in a tiny nearby village) is always full to the brim at Christmas.
View attachment 49426
Photo source

Its a beautiful church. I'm thinking there would be restrictions on numbers in the church this year?

Its a beautiful church. I'm thinking there would be restrictions on numbers in the church this year?
They'll probably arrange several sermons from early morning to late evening with maybe one third of the usual attenders/worshippers allowed. There is a rather spacious balcony with seats in the church as well. The Christmas sermon lasts for approximately an hour. This old church (with beautiful countryside surroundings by the lake) is very popular so there have been maybe 3-4 daily Christmas sermons in previous years too.

If I did that, they'd think that I'm being a jerk or being ungrateful. It's almost like going to a dinner or a party & finding out that the food is wrong. Would I say something or keep quiet? I'd keep quiet & just don't eat it. :whistling:

That's really unfortunate. Sorry for you. Maybe you can try make it fun for yourself?

Christmas. A pagan holiday/celebration taken over by Christians to celebrate the birth of Christ, which was not actually his birthday and then taken over by retailers and renamed xmas! :eek:

Pffft!...and graham crackers were originally made to curb self-pleasuring. Who cares? They're still delicious and Christmas has evolved to what it is today. 😛

As the song says:

Holly in the window, homeward the wind blows
Can't walk for runnin', Christmas time's a'comin'!

My grandma, who always says "Christmas it's not the same it's all about consumerism", is the first to buy presents for people she dislikes and talks trash about, openly evaluates gifts on their apparent monetary value, and is very conscious about not giving people presents that are cheap :facepalm:

Pffft!...and graham crackers were originally made to curb self-pleasuring. Who cares? They're still delicious and Christmas has evolved to what it is today. 😛

As the song says:

Holly in the window, homeward the wind blows
Can't walk for runnin', Christmas time's a'comin'!

I care about the number of people killed in the name of Christianity for their beliefs. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom