Christmas - do you love it or hate it?

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
1:44 PM
[Mod.Edit: this and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Same here, but my dad used it as an insult. Of all the kids, I did the best in school, and I've always preferred brain-work over brawn-work, so to speak. It's was my dad's way of saying, "You may be smart in the classroom, but out here in the barn, you're not worth a sh!t."

That's what all the names like were for - just a way to remind us not to get to big for our britches and to keep us down-to-earth.

I like the way you think!

Actually, you can't see it, but there's a Christmas tree directly behind me. It stays up all year, just to give me something to live for. :okay:

I clearly don't share your enthusiasm for Christmas as it's a really bad time in my family. When I moved out on my own I didn't even have a Christmas tree. That year my sister (who was 9 or 10 at the time) came into my house and was very shocked that I didn't have a Christmas tree and complained to my dad, who showed up at my door with a tree and decorations for me :D Truth be told I haven't used them in the last 2 or 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I clearly don't share your enthusiasm for Christmas as it's a really bad time in my family. When I moved out on my own I didn't even have a Christmas tree.
I grew up in a family that didn't celebrate Christmas (or birthdays, or anniversaries...) so when I got out on my own, I changed that, especially after meeting my wife and her family - they loved Christmas, especially her dad. He's my inspiration.

I clearly don't share your enthusiasm for Christmas
Nor do we. In fact I have the pleasant tingle of schadenfreude when I see all of the long faces caused by the arrival of their credit card statements. In the UK 27% of parents expect to spend £250 to £500 on each child, while 2% say they will not spend anything at all.
One in eight will spend from £500 to £1,000, a Mirror poll reveals, and one in 14 say they’ll even top that – but one in 33 won’t fork out a penny Managing money is the most stressful part of the Christmas period for 24% of people, while 11% say visiting relatives is the most taxing part.Spending time with family is the most important thing about Christmas for 73%, but for almost 4% it is eating, drinking and partying.
We like the eating,drinking and Partying bit.

I grew up in a family that didn't celebrate Christmas (or birthdays, or anniversaries...) so when I got out on my own, I changed that, especially after meeting my wife and her family - they loved Christmas, especially her dad. He's my inspiration.
I now understand mate, I sincerely hope you and Mrs Tasters enjoy every moment of the holiday.

I clearly don't share your enthusiasm for Christmas as it's a really bad time in my family.

*Hugs*

It used to be a bad time for me too with my family.
My father always told us he wanted it to be a 'happy christmas this time' and then told us what to do all day while he lazed on the couch. Me and my mom (I am an only child) were supposed to cater to him and be entertaining all day because it was Christmas, and he demanded we faked happiness all along. Any slight frown would cause him to throw a fit. And of course, we had to make a three course Christmas dinner too. As soon as my parents were divorced, my mom and I used to eat the most simple meal we could think of at Christmas.

But that's why I actually love Christmas now. We don't force anyone in the family to join us, they come as they please. And I cook a lovely meal that can be extended for guests but doesn't have to be. There's no pressure, Christmas is super relaxed at our house. We play games when we're in the mood for it, but mostly just watch Christmas movies and eat snacks. It's my favorite time of year because of the relaxed atmosphere, the opposite of my childhood home.

Nor do we. In fact I have the pleasant tingle of schadenfreude when I see all of the long faces caused by the arrival of their credit card statements. In the UK 27% of parents expect to spend £250 to £500 on each child, while 2% say they will not spend anything at all.
One in eight will spend from £500 to £1,000, a Mirror poll reveals, and one in 14 say they’ll even top that – but one in 33 won’t fork out a penny Managing money is the most stressful part of the Christmas period for 24% of people, while 11% say visiting relatives is the most taxing part.Spending time with family is the most important thing about Christmas for 73%, but for almost 4% it is eating, drinking and partying.
We like the eating,drinking and Partying bit.

That's incredible sums of money. I guess the Dutch are somewhat greedy but for presents at Sinterklaas (our traditional december gift holiday) no more than e 100 is spent a head IF it is. Our tradition involves making a poem for each person and giving them candy, all else is optional. No need to put yourself in debt for presents. Big presents are given on birthdays instead.

That's incredible sums of money. I guess the Dutch are somewhat greedy but for presents at Sinterklaas (our traditional december gift holiday) no more than e 100 is spent a head IF it is. Our tradition involves making a poem for each person and giving them candy, all else is optional. No need to put yourself in debt for presents. Big presents are given on birthdays instead.

Something similar happens here in Portugal, a lot of people spend a lot of money they really don't have buying Christmas presents. It's really stupid I think, I'm not even sure what all this gift-giving has to do with the real spirit of Christmas.

I both like and dislike Christmas. I like getting presents for people and I like a few tasteful decorations. I like Christmas dinner (which is really a glorified British Sunday roast). I don't like people giving me chocolates (not my thing but they always do!). I hate the way the TV programmes are all rubbish during Christmas. I very much dislike the emphasis on spending, especially for those that can't afford it.

Like tasty we love Xmas, my wife ( she looks after purse strings) buys about $100 each kid. She buys lotto for kids and in laws. I give her a $100 hair voucher with her stylist. Kids get me true crime books or cookin books. Lunch here is 1.30pm. Full English roast, lamb turkey and pickled pork. Spuds n peas from the garden. About 5 pm kids head off to their the other in laws. My son always departs with a cold lamb and mint jelly sammich, and a pickled pork and apple sauce sammich. He eats that about 9pm. He loooooves pickled pork. Lazy Boxing Day here betting and watching the races.

Russ

I don't really keep track of what I spend. I just buy until I'm done buying, and that's it. I've got three things for MrsT so far, two I just bought this week, and I don't even remember what they cost, but that's more because they're not anything terribly expensive.

Now, Christmas 2001, I was still earning Y2K-paranoia money, I I'll tell you, I still remember it, I spent just over $2K on MrsT for Christmas.

You may be thinking, "Oh, you must have bought a some jewelry or something like that," but nope. There were nice things, but it was mainly just me walking around, shop after shop, weekend after weekend, saying, "I'll have that, and that...and that, and that and that and that!"

Most of it was nothing special...foot massager, little game for her desk, a video game cube that plugged into the TV that contained classic video games, shirts, sweaters, jeans, gloves, scarves, food, puzzles, board games...I was just buying crap to buy crap. I don't do that any more. I have some restraint. :)

I don't really keep track of what I spend. I just buy until I'm done buying, and that's it. I've got three things for MrsT so far, two I just bought this week, and I don't even remember what they cost, but that's more because they're not anything terribly expensive.

Now, Christmas 2001, I was still earning Y2K-paranoia money, I I'll tell you, I still remember it, I spent just over $2K on MrsT for Christmas.

You may be thinking, "Oh, you must have bought a some jewelry or something like that," but nope. There were nice things, but it was mainly just me walking around, shop after shop, weekend after weekend, saying, "I'll have that, and that...and that, and that and that and that!"

Most of it was nothing special...foot massager, little game for her desk, a video game cube that plugged into the TV that contained classic video games, shirts, sweaters, jeans, gloves, scarves, food, puzzles, board games...I was just buying crap to buy crap. I don't do that any more. I have some restraint. :)

Only person I spent serious money on at Xmas was my mum. She was spoilt.

Russ

My mom collects LLADRO. She hasn't gotten any new pieces in a long time -- she has just about everything. We used to enjoy "the parade of LLADRO every Christmas. It wasn't unheard of for him to spend 20,000 bucks on my mom at Christmas.

Now, buying for my dad is frustrating, because anything he wants, he just buys. I have to come up with something I think he will like, that he probably never thought of buying. I got him an Anova sous vide circulator a couple years ago, and he loves it. He would have never bought one, himself.

CD

I both like and dislike Christmas. I like getting presents for people and I like a few tasteful decorations. I like Christmas dinner (which is really a glorified British Sunday roast). I don't like people giving me chocolates (not my thing but they always do!). I hate the way the TV programmes are all rubbish during Christmas. I very much dislike the emphasis on spending, especially for those that can't afford it.

When I was married, the wife had enough decorations for five houses (inside and out), and I had to haul them out of the attic, and set everything up. Then, after Christmas, I had to take it all down, box it up, and shove it back in the attic. :mad:

Now, I don't have a single Christmas decoration. Zero.

CD

I love the Christmas holidays - the colored lights, the sparkle and cooking a big meal for friends/family. Traditional (for me) Christmas hymns always bring a tear to my eye when I hear them. Gift giving is fun when I buy from the heart and not just to reciprocate.

Back
Top Bottom