Christmas Food & Drink

Peppermint pie is basically a chocolate cookie crust (think graham cracker crust but use Oreo type cookies instead) filled with soften peppermint or candy cane ice cream and topped with crushed peppermints or candy canes. Freeze until firm and serve.

That sounds like a dessert I could eat (I don't eat sweet stuff normally) - but I do sometimes like ice-cream and I like mint flavours so I can see that working - especially with a dark chocolate crumbly crust.

Perfect for the current Recipe Challenge....

I don't make it, I used to do whole turkey but the wastage was unbelievable. I buy store bought roast, it's two breasts shaped in a log with stuffing in it. It's perfect for me to cook and cut with electric knife. If you giggle Tegel turkey roast you should see it. It really is the way to go. I love turkey and cranberry sauce/ jelly.

Russ

I don't make it, I used to do whole turkey but the wastage was unbelievable. I buy store bought roast, it's two breasts shaped in a log with stuffing in it. It's perfect for me to cook and cut with electric knife. If you giggle Tegel turkey roast you should see it. It really is the way to go. I love turkey and cranberry sauce/ jelly.

Russ

I was planning on making it from scratch but I perfectly understand why you buy it ready made. I don't expect mine will look much like the the Tegel - but I will have a go at a version of it.

I was planning on making it from scratch but I perfectly understand why you buy it ready made. I don't expect mine will look much like the the Tegel - but I will have a go at a version of it.

We pretty much only like the breast meat, as a kid mum used to feed us kids the brown meat on chicken and turkey, while adults had the breast. I'm not poor. I can afford to just buy the breast. I to this day won't eat chicken drums!! It sucked growing up poor.!!

Russ

I don't think so. Prime rib is WAY better in my book than turkey.

I don't even like turkey, and we also have prime rib at Christmas, but I do think the "big meal holiday" is Thanksgiving. That might be because there's nothing else to Thanksgiving except the meal (and maybe watching football), whereas Christmas, it's got a lot more going on besides the one meal.

Yep, I'd much, much rather have prime rib than turkey. The only time I eat roast turkey (apart from a lunch meat sandwich) is on Thanksgiving. I'll have a single slice of breast and a couple of hunks of dark meat, and that's it, just to honor the tradition. I don't even eat it for leftovers.

Prime rib, OTOH, I'll eat the whole thing myself if left alone with it!

We pretty much only like the breast meat, as a kid mum used to feed us kids the brown meat on chicken and turkey, while adults had the breast. I'm not poor. I can afford to just buy the breast. I to this day won't eat chicken drums!! It sucked growing up poor.!!

Russ

I much prefer turkey dark meat. More flavor, and more moisture -- both because the dark meat has more fat content.

Christmas dinner with my family is always a honey-baked ham. Same basic sides as Thanksgiving.

I make sure to ALWAYS claim the ham bone and residual meat to make ham and bean soup. Last year's batch...

BeansHam001.jpg

CD

Interesting - a majority here don't seem to like turkey very much. I personally love it - much more tasty than chicken and just as versatile. I'm not sure about prime rib as I confess I've never cooked it or had it. Its very expensive to buy a prime rib here and they seem huge so maybe that is why. I'm not a big red meat eater and my kids if they come to Xmas dinner are largely vegetarian.

Back
Top Bottom