Recipe Christmas gift cookies

Tobi

Über Member
Local time
1:16 AM
I make these every year and I thought some of you might like the recipe. It's taken me ages to get it just right to work with a Sawa biscuit maker (like an oversized icing tube) but you can roll out the dough and use a simple cookie cutter.

Ingredients:
6oz butter
6oz plain flour
2oz icing (powdered) sugar
2oz custard powder
Vanilla or almond essence to flavour

Method:
Beat all the ingredients together in a food mixer. If you have to do it by hand, cream the butter and sugar first, then add the custard powder, then the flour. You should have a nice pliable dough. If it's very soft, pop it in the fridge for a few minutes. Then either roll it out thin and use cookie cutters or use a biscuit maker to pipe it onto ungreased baking trays. I use a star shape. Bake them at 170 degrees fan for about fifteen minutes. I dredge them with a bit of icing sugar, but you could dip them in chocolate or add icing. They make a great little gift.

Happy Solstice!!

Custard powder surprised me. Most are essentially cornflour and vanilla essence plus some colourings. Some also have salt in them, so with that lot you are adding pretty much 2oz cornflour, an unknown quantity of salt and more vanilla essence to your ingredients.

Yes, I thought that interesting - because vanilla essence is also added and custard powder already has vanilla.

We can't get custard powder here in the US except for many a British store of some type or maybe World Market...might have it. There is a British pantry that I know of..but it is nowhere close to here. Custard Powder would have to be something that was ordered online. Actually, to be honest I never heard of it before.

We can't get custard powder here in the US except for many a British store of some type or maybe World Market...might have it. There is a British pantry that I know of..but it is nowhere close to here. Custard Powder would have to be something that was ordered online. Actually, to be honest I never heard of it before.
You don't need to. All custard powder is, is cornflour and vanilla flavouring with salt and yellow colouring. You don't need the salt! Just follow the recipe using cornflour in place of custard powder. I may test this recipe out as I'm curious about it.

Back
Top Bottom