Christmas presents for cooks

Hey, I think this is on-topic. My mom has a problem baking cookies without burning the bottoms. I think it is because she uses margarine instead of shortening, but she won't listen to me. Soooo, would a couple of Silpat baking mats be a good gift for her? Would they help with the burning bottoms?

The big challenge at Christmas is buying things for my Dad. He doesn't buy a lot of things, but if he wants something, he just buys it. New computer? Done. 72-inch TV, Done. Every four years, he goes to the Audi dealer, picks out a car, and writes a check. Nobody in my family knows what to get him for Christmas.

I bought him an Anova Sous Vide circulator two years ago, not knowing whether he would ever use it. But, he has used it many times. He loves it. He just raves about how tender and juicy meats are cooked sous vide. The man I once knew as "The Grim Reaper of grilled meats" can now cook a good steak. :laugh:

CD

My mum was meat n 3 veg, every night!!

Russ

Not sure - I think that they are mainly to stop food sticking. If the bottoms of the cookies are burning perhaps she is cooking them at too high a temperature? Margarine shouldn't cause them to burn - although I don't know what type she is using. The low fat margarines have water added and aren't suitable for baking.

It is most likely low-fat margarine. If so, I can try again... :banghead:

I saw on some YouTube video someone, perhaps Chef John, say the Silpats are good for limiting burning on the bottom.

CD

It is most likely low-fat margarine. If so, I can try again... :banghead:

Low fat marge is a disaster for baking. I don't suppose you could suggest this to your Mom?...... no I thought not!

I suppose the silpats might help a bit with burning as I think they don't get as hot as tins.

I just replace my warped aluminum non-stick skillets with some new ones from All-Clad. They are anodized aluminum pan, with a stainless steel bottom that is fused into the aluminum. They are induction compatible! Decent price, too.

ALL-CLAD HA1 Nonstick 2 Pack Fry Pan E785S264

Weber is introducing a line of Pellet Smokers in early 2020. They are expensive, but they are Weber, made in the USA and should last MANY years. They have a 200F to 600F temperature range, so you can slow smoke a brisket, or cook a wood fired pizza.

I have the hots for one, big time. I know I'll end up buying one. (Be sure to watch the video at the website link below)

SmokeFire Series | Wood Pellet Grills | Weber Grills

CD

Caseydog, thank you for the ideas!!

Skillets should be soon - or attached to that X-mas wish list...

The Weber sounds worth looking into!
I have a small regular Weber atm.

I suppose the silpats might help a bit with burning as I think they don't get as hot as tins.
I don't have silicone baking mats because every review I've read says they will not brown. At all. I can't think of too many things I'd make on a baking mat that I wouldn't want some browning on the bottom, even sugar cookies.

And margarine should be outlawed. Low-fat margarine should be hunted down and killed.

My daughter always texts me and asks what I want the night before she goes Christmas shopping. I give her a long list usually clothes and am quite happy to have anything off that list. They normally give me a small surprise gift too. This year I've asked her to get me a decent frying pan. I already have 3, but 2 of them are not really ceramic hob-compatible and are starting to warp slightly. The other is my lovely little frying pan which is dying. It's a cast aluminium one with a thick coating but despite it being well looked after the coating is starting to lift in a couple of places.

I haven't got a clue what to get any of them for Christmas though. I think I'm supposed to be a mind-reader. The girls' presents are normally simple - cash! - but a couple of years one wanted a Harry Potter script and the other one wanted a hooded onesie, last year they both wanted a set of expensive make up brushes. My daughter wanted towels (they'd just finished their en suite, but most of the rest of the house is still a building site) and last year saucepans. The lids on their others had died but I managed to rescue the pans themselves and use them quite a lot!

I just got an e-mail from Sur La Table that All-Clad is on sale for up to 55% off. Don't know how the prices compare to Amazon, but for those interested might want to check it out.

I just got an e-mail from Sur La Table that All-Clad is on sale for up to 55% off. Don't know how the prices compare to Amazon, but for those interested might want to check it out.
Thanks. I drive right by a location on my way to work, and I'm heading into the office on Tuesday, so I'll stop in and see what they have in stock.

No Sur La Table near me, but I'll check to see if Bed, Bath and Beyond can beat the price. Or if some other outlet atm unknown to me stocks in within a rational distance.

A couple of things I forgot to mention - I would like a proper long apron - one that goes down to halfway between my knees and ankles, and made of good-quality material, not some thin crap.

Also, big item on my list this year (and I mentioned it before)...I'm a huge Vincent Price fan, and he was a noted home chef, and even wrote a couple of cookbooks in the 1970's and hosted his own cooking show with his wife.

I want one of those books, partly for the VP connection, but also because I love just about anything 1970's-related (even disco!), so I'm interested to see what "retro" things are in it.

I had no idea Vince did that, learn something new every day :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom