Recipe Chundoo (Green Mango Chutney with Almonds and Saffron)

OK - so make sure they send you unripe mangoes, because this recipe doesn´t work with ripe ones.
The problem with shopping online is that you don´t get to choose. You get what they send you.
As I mentioned somewhere or other, I´ve made several mango chutney/pickle recipes, and ALL of them are different. In "Mango Country" (ie. India) cooks make a point of differentiating between ripe, semi-ripe, unripe, green and baby mangoes, because they are all different flavours and textures. Sugar is an essential ingredient in Mango Chutney and, quite simply, if you don´t like sugar, don´t make chutney. (I don´t like wings; I never buy them and I´d never make them. No problem!) I´ve made a recipe which calls for about 10 TBSPS of salt and another which calls for 3-4 TBSPS of asafoetida. I made them both as is, and decided that I liked them, although they´re not to everyone´s taste.
Less sugar, in this case, would have been offset by a sweeter (ie. riper) mango, although you used less than the original quantity. It´s possible that the conserve will damage, unless kept in the fridge, because the sugar acts as a preservative, but since there´s also less mango pulp, it could be ok.
I don´t think using sultanas instead of golden raisins is a big deal - fanatical purists might say they´re the wrong size or wrong colour, but they´re dried grapes, right? :happy: :happy: And the Scotch Bonnet is fine. I´ve tasted some "Sweet" mango chutneys which were fiercely spicy. No problem.

Less sugar, in this case, would have been offset by a sweeter (ie. riper) mango, although you used less than the original quantity. It´s possible that the conserve will damage, unless kept in the fridge, because the sugar acts as a preservative, but since there´s also less mango pulp, it could be ok.
I don´t think using sultanas instead of golden raisins is a big deal - fanatical purists might say they´re the wrong size or wrong colour, but they´re dried grapes, right? :happy: :happy: And the Scotch Bonnet is fine. I´ve tasted some "Sweet" mango chutneys which were fiercely spicy. No problem.

I think that it will be fine re the sugar amounts since its one jar and 60g of sugar. Your original recipe makes 4 to 5 jars with 160g so arguably I used more sugar than you, now I think about it.

I liked the Scotch bonnet as it has a very spicy yet fruity taste. Its not so much that I don't like sweet things - I just like sweet things mixed with savoury and preferably a kick of chlli.

Back
Top Bottom