1:36 AM
CINCINNATI CHILI
Makes 6-8 servings

Ingredients
2 tsp table salt, plus more to taste
1-1/2 lbs 80% lean ground chuck
2 TBsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed (about 2 tsp)
2 TBsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 TBsp cider vinegar
2 tsp dark brown sugar
Hot sauce

Accompaniments
1 lb spaghetti, cooked, drained, and tossed with 2 TBsp unsalted butter
12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained, and warmed
1 medium onion, chopped

Directions
FOR THE CHILI: Bring 2 quarts water and 1 tsp of the salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the ground chuck, stirring vigorously to separate the meat into individual strands. As soon as the foam from the meat rises to the top (this takes about 30 seconds) and before the water returns to a boil, drain the meat into a strainer and set aside.

Rinse and dry the empty saucepan. Set the pan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is warm, add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and browned around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice, black pepper, and the remaining 1 tsp of salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, water, vinegar, and sugar, scraping the pan bottom to remove any browned bits.

Add the blanched ground beef and increase the heat to high. As soon as the liquid boils, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is deep red and has thickened slightly, about 1 hour. Season with salt and hot sauce to taste. (The chili can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat before serving.)

TO SERVE: Divide the buttered spaghetti among individual bowls. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti and top with the cheese, beans, and onion. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen.

Note: a purist would point out that the build order is spaghetti, sauce, beans, onion, and cheese.

I’m glad you posted this: I needed an Ohio boy to give me the breakdown on a Cincy chili. To be honest, the whole pasta-and-chili thing has always seemed odd to me. Would you say that the chili serves as sort of a meat sauce?

Also being honest, I didn’t realize that the beans aren’t integrated into the chili. But, I see that this also serves the versatility: you can put this on a dog, too.

I will have to give this a try, though I can’t see not using fresh peppers.

I’m glad you posted this: I needed an Ohio boy to give me the breakdown on a Cincy chili. To be honest, the whole pasta-and-chili thing has always seemed odd to me. Would you say that the chili serves as sort of a meat sauce?

Also being honest, I didn’t realize that the beans aren’t integrated into the chili. But, I see that this also serves the versatility: you can put this on a dog, too.

I will have to give this a try, though I can’t see not using fresh peppers.
Thanks.

Yes, it's absolutely a meat sauce. It's not a bowl of chili to eat. You can buy it by the bowl, but that's only so locals can quickly identify out-of-towners. No one who knows anything about Cincy chili would eat a bowl of it, no more than anyone would eat a bowl of spaghetti sauce.

Put it on your spag, on a hot dog, even over some fries or in a wrap, but don't eat a bowl of it. :)

CINCINNATI CHILI
Makes 6-8 servings

Ingredients
2 tsp table salt, plus more to taste
1-1/2 lbs 80% lean ground chuck
2 TBsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed (about 2 tsp)
2 TBsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 TBsp cider vinegar
2 tsp dark brown sugar
Hot sauce

Accompaniments
1 lb spaghetti, cooked, drained, and tossed with 2 TBsp unsalted butter
12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained, and warmed
1 medium onion, chopped

Directions
FOR THE CHILI: Bring 2 quarts water and 1 tsp of the salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the ground chuck, stirring vigorously to separate the meat into individual strands. As soon as the foam from the meat rises to the top (this takes about 30 seconds) and before the water returns to a boil, drain the meat into a strainer and set aside.

Rinse and dry the empty saucepan. Set the pan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is warm, add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and browned around the edges, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, allspice, black pepper, and the remaining 1 tsp of salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, water, vinegar, and sugar, scraping the pan bottom to remove any browned bits.

Add the blanched ground beef and increase the heat to high. As soon as the liquid boils, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is deep red and has thickened slightly, about 1 hour. Season with salt and hot sauce to taste. (The chili can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat before serving.)

TO SERVE: Divide the buttered spaghetti among individual bowls. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti and top with the cheese, beans, and onion. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of America's Test Kitchen.

Note: a purist would point out that the build order is spaghetti, sauce, beans, onion, and cheese.

Cinnamon and Cocoa powder, I’m in!
Maybe it would also be interesting to have a couple of eggs cooked in this sauce, like a sort of “eggs in Purgatory” or Shakshuka

Back
Top Bottom