Clearing up after your dog

Its a fineable offence not to pick up after your dog here - and quite rightly. It used to be the case, many years ago that taking your kids out on the street or to a park was a question of dodge the dog poo. And I can still remember treading in it more than once and not realising until I'd walked it into the house. Yuk! Nowadays there are people who don't pick up - but they are in a minority. In the nature reserve near me there is someone who goes round with a harmless coloured spray and sprays circles around any dog poo. This is an attempt to shame the culprit next time they visit.

The dog is gone, he's staying with our daughters friend. We can get our lawn back again.

Russ

We have cats. Sallie Sue will be 9 in September. She is a short hair multicolored girl. Daisy Faye is a long hair calico. 8 years old last March. She is beautiful.
I have considered getting a dog. My choice would be a French Bulldog. A face only a mother could love. They SMILE. I understand that Frenchies are difficult to train. I would be willing to try. Both of my girls had to be bottle fed. I have the patience to work with a stubborn dog. The thought of bringing a dog into the house with two very spoiled, mature cats does give me a pause.

We have cats. Sallie Sue will be 9 in September. She is a short hair multicolored girl. Daisy Faye is a long hair calico. 8 years old last March. She is beautiful.
I have considered getting a dog. My choice would be a French Bulldog. A face only a mother could love. They SMILE. I understand that Frenchies are difficult to train. I would be willing to try. Both of my girls had to be bottle fed. I have the patience to work with a stubborn dog. The thought of bringing a dog into the house with two very spoiled, mature cats does give me a pause.
If you get a young puppy, the cats will turn it into a dat and it will be fine. It won't know it's not a cat, only the cats will.

Dogs are a huge commitment, in that they generally require more attention throughout the day, where cats (not always, but usually) are fine left to their own company.

As much as we love dogs (and we love dogs!), Kate will be our last one. We're quickly approaching retirement, and a dog just doesn't fit into vagabond lifestyle we hope/plan to enjoy soon.

Our last dog passed away in 2003. It's too heartbreaking to go through it again. Our only pets are squirrels and chipmunks who live outside, no vet bills and we can go away for weeks without worry or making arrangements for their care.

Our last dog passed away in 2003. It's too heartbreaking to go through it again. Our only pets are squirrels and chipmunks who live outside, no vet bills and we can go away for weeks without worry or making arrangements for their care.
Yep, the bills are another thing. We keep track of Kate's monthly expenses (food, meds, vet) and for 2020, she's averaging $440/month. It'd be higher, but a two-week vacation was cancelled.

Yep, the bills are another thing. We keep track of Kate's monthly expenses (food, meds, vet) and for 2020, she's averaging $440/month. It'd be higher, but a two-week vacation was cancelled.

I used to have pet insurance and that covered all vet bills apart from routine checks or routine injections. That is a seriously huge monthly bill for a pet.

I used to have pet insurance and that covered all vet bills apart from routine checks or routine injections. That is a seriously huge monthly bill for a pet.
The problem with pet insurance here is that it doesn't really cover much, it's full of restrictions. We looked at insurance for both our dogs, so once in 1998 and again in 2005, and found so many loopholes, it wasn't worth it. For wellness stuff, we do use a program the local vet offers, which includes two physicals, and all her vaccines for one fee per year.

Her single biggest expense month-to-month is food, and the odd unexpected trip to the vet. Last year, she got a UTI...that was $900 to diagnose, treat, and retest for the all-clear. She eats about $10 worth of food a day.

Goodness me! She costs more to feed than I do. In fact I estimate my daily food bill is probably half that for just me, if that.
I mentioned her food cost on another forum, quite a while ago, and someone shot back, "Well, how much does it cost to feed you every day?"

I quickly did the math, and it was at a point where I was eating lunch out a lot, so it was about twice as much, but then I pointed out, "Yeah, but I weigh a lot more than 45-lbs, so I'm cheaper pound-for-pound!" :laugh:

I mentioned her food cost on another forum, quite a while ago, and someone shot back, "Well, how much does it cost to feed you every day?"

I quickly did the math, and it was at a point where I was eating lunch out a lot, so it was about twice as much, but then I pointed out, "Yeah, but I weigh a lot more than 45-lbs, so I'm cheaper pound-for-pound!" :laugh:

Also I eat very little meat indeed so that saves a lot on food bills.

Back
Top Bottom