Club Sandwich

Termyn8or

Local time
4:11 PM
When was the last time anyone made them ? I remember my last time...

I bought the ham, turkey breast, pound of bacon, cheese, loaf of bread and mayo (Miracle Whip at the time, but I switched), a tomato or two and a head of lettuce.

Well it came to $40 which is not a problem, but it made five sandwiches ! That is eight bucks each.

I can't even think of a sandwich more expensive than that to make at home. Well it was a buddy o mine's place but still.

What is much more expensive than that ? (that is not a rhetorical question)

T

When was the last time anyone made them ? I remember my last time...

I bought the ham, turkey breast, pound of bacon, cheese, loaf of bread and mayo (Miracle Whip at the time, but I switched), a tomato or two and a head of lettuce.

Well it came to $40 which is not a problem, but it made five sandwiches ! That is eight bucks each.

I can't even think of a sandwich more expensive than that to make at home. Well it was a buddy o mine's place but still.

What is much more expensive than that ? (that is not a rhetorical question)

T

I could make that for about $5 to $10. That's for bread ham and eggs. I have everything else here.

My layers are
Bread
Mayo
Lettuce
Tomato
Bread
Mustard
Ham
Mashed egg with mayo and store bought curry powder. ( it's yummy)
Bread.

Now I'm hungry!!

Russ

I make them occasionally, never bothered to work out the price of a single sandwich, though.

I don't always have the same items on hand, but I like the bread toasted, mayonnaise and mustard, lettuce, tomato, cheese, ham, bacon, hard-boiled egg slices, and turkey.

It varies, though, based on what's lying around.

I'll guarantee you the muffaletta I just made cost more than than $8 per, especially if you factor in buying proper bread for it, then you have the different olives, the giardinieria, whether you make or buy it, plus the provolone, cappy, mortadella and sopressata. If you favor in my time for the homemade bread, giardinieria , and then making the olive salad, it's way up there in cost. But, Craig likes 1 every now and again, so it's worth it. Would I do it for just me? No.

He likes club sammies, but I don't think we've ever made them at home. There's a diner that's in a building shaped like the silver old fashioned dining cars we used to.go to that make a great turkey club according to him. I like their Benedicts because they actually make the hollandaise instead of using canned or a powder mix. They also had great chocolate croissaint breakfasts as a special sometimes.

I'll guarantee you the muffaletta I just made cost more than than $8 per, especially if you factor in buying proper bread for it, then you have the different olives, the giardinieria, whether you make or buy it, plus the provolone, cappy, mortadella and sopressata. If you favor in my time for the homemade bread, giardinieria , and then making the olive salad, it's way up there in cost. But, Craig likes 1 every now and again, so it's worth it. Would I do it for just me? No.

He likes club sammies, but I don't think we've ever made them at home. There's a diner that's in a building shaped like the silver old fashioned dining cars we used to.go to that make a great turkey club according to him. I like their Benedicts because they actually make the hollandaise instead of using canned or a powder mix. They also had great chocolate croissaint breakfasts as a special sometimes.

As you say every now and again, like I buy a dozen oysters twice a year as a "treat to myself" at around $40. My wife wouldn't pay $1 for them. Me on the other hand.......

Russ

If I had a nickle for every club sandwich I ever made I wouldn't have to make any more club sandwiches
Off the top of my flat head:
Bread 3x 10 cents= 30
Bacon 4x15 cents= 60
Turkey 3 ounces x 35 cents=1.05
Tomato 4 slices x 5 cents= 20
Mayo 1 ounce = 10 cents
Lettuce = 10 cents
Total..$2.35
We sell for 9.95...(usually a restaurant multipies the cost of something by three to get the menu price..a good place to start)
This is pretty much the going rate, but some of that stuff like the bacon, turkey and sometimes tomatoes can spike in prices...we leave a little headroom to cover for this...and the toothpicks, take out container, napkins, salt and pepper packets, bag....it all adds up..

Here's one I had a picture of in my photos...those potatoes are roasted in duck fat..

Last edited:
If I had a nickle for every club sandwich I ever made I wouldn't have to make any more club sandwiches
Bread 3x 10 cents= 30
Bacon 4x15 cents= 60
Mayo 1 ounce = 10 cents
Lettuce = 10 cents
Total..$2.35
We sell for 9.95...(usually a restaurant multipies the cost of something by three to get the menu price..a good place to start)
This is pretty much the going rate, but some of that stuff like the bacon, turkey and sometimes tomatoes can spike in prices...we leave a little headroom to cover for this...and the toothpicks, take out container, napkins, salt and pepper packets, bag....it all adds up..

Here's one I had a picture of in my photos...those potatoes are roasted in duck fat..
View attachment 62567

Now that's what I'm talking about, I'd be all over that platter.

Russ

Bread 3x 10 cents= 30
Bacon 4x15 cents= 60
Mayo 1 ounce = 10 cents
Lettuce = 10 cents
Total..$2.35

View attachment 62567
Yeah, but you're working off wholesale or close to it restaurant supply prices. Things aren't going to be that cheap for someone buying supplies at the grocery.

There's a reason we try to buy meat and seafood at Restaurant Depot. A 5 pound bag of lemons costs less than $5 there, whereas 3 lemons can.be that much at certain times of the year even in florida. A 5 pound bag of yeast cost less than a dollar more for the little jars of yeast for sale in the grocery. When we were making limoncello in large batches and using lots and lots of sugar, we'd pick up 25 pound bags of sugar for about 1.5 times the price of a 5 pound bag in the grocery. Etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, but you're working off wholesale or close to it restaurant supply prices. Things aren't going to be that cheap for someone buying supplies at the grocery.

There's a reason we try to buy meat and seafood at Restaurant Depot. A 5 pound bag of lemons costs less than $5 there, whereas 3 lemons can.be that much at certain times of the year even in florida. A 5 pound bag of yeast cost less than a dollar more for the little jars of yeast for sale in the grocery. When we were making limoncello in large batches and using lots and lots of sugar, we'd pick up 25 pound bags of sugar for about 1.5 times the price of a 5 pound bag in the grocery. Etc, etc, etc.
Some of it might be a bit cheaper, but to be honest, small business, such as mine, pays almost as much as the consumer these days..I buy my sandwich bread from the grocery store every second day so I don't have to buy it in bulk and freeze it..Bacon is cheaper, yes...turkey, it can get up to 50 cents an ounce for the deli stuff...

Bread 3x 10 cents= 30
Bacon 4x15 cents= 60
Mayo 1 ounce = 10 cents
Lettuce = 10 cents
Total..$2.35

View attachment 62567

That looks DELISH!!! I like to get the mini club sub from Jersey Mike's!!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Some of it might be a bit cheaper, but to be honest, small business, such as mine, pays almost as much as the consumer these days..I buy my sandwich bread from the grocery store every second day so I don't have to buy it in bulk and freeze it..Bacon is cheaper, yes...turkey, it can get up to 50 cents an ounce for the deli stuff...

I didn't realise you had your own shop, utmost respect for working for yourself. That's why your Sammies look so good. Experience!

Russ

It's usually THIS size club sub cut in half, which makes it a mini club sub. I could NEVER eat a foot-long at once. Too much bread!! :eek:

Last edited:
Leave it off for me!!!! Trust me, the mini club sub is just enough for me with a diet soda & a chocolate chip cookie!! I'm quite satisfied & not overly full!!

:eek:

Last edited:
View attachment 62570
It's usually THIS size club sub cut in half, which makes it a mini club sub. I could NEVER eat a foot-long. Too much bread!! :eek:

I love club sandwiches, and I love Jersey Mike's. But, I like the more "traditional" Club Sandwich with three pieces of toast, and I always get the Italian Hoagie at Jersey Mike's.

I haven't had a Club Sandwich since pre-Covid days.

Well, Crap, the Tornado Sirens just kicked on. BRB -- I hope.

Update: A tornado tried to develop 20 miles North of me, but it seems that it fell apart. So, I'm back -- and still love Club Sandwiches. :wink:

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom