Coconut Rice

Local time
2:56 PM
I was having a discussion in another thread about my coconut bread which was a big hit when I made it some time ago. Out of that a coconut conversation got started. I am the first to acknowledge my Caribbean roots and my love for anything coconut related having been raised around many a coconut tree.

Still, when asked to provide a coconut rice recipe, I had to search for one as I have never made it. As it turns out the recipe I stumbled upon is super simple. How many of you have made coconut rice? I feel like it's time I tried it and I am welcoming any more complex recipes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/coconut-rice-recipe1.html

I've been meaning to try coconut rice but never had the opportunity yet. I'm South East Asian and DON'T like rice, which is like committing treason whenever I tell people, lol. Will definitely have to make time to do this recipe

I have made coconut rice with pigeon peas. It was very good, however it was also pretty heavy and high calorie, so I haven't made it since! A good dish for kids though that don't eat too much.

I've been meaning to try coconut rice but never had the opportunity yet. I'm South East Asian and DON'T like rice, which is like committing treason whenever I tell people, lol. Will definitely have to make time to do this recipe

Queenbellevue, you are indeed guilty of "treason" and sentenced to twenty years of cooking rice once weekly:). In my original post I neglected to mention that I am also a rice lover so to not have combined my two favourite things makes me guilty of some sort of crime as well. I also know myself well enough to know that since the first recipe appears so simple, I am likely to put my own spin on it once I give it a try. Here is another recipe I found. The more the merrier.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/04/coconut-rice-with-chicken-thighs-one-pot-recipe.html

As I mentioned in that other thread, I used to get it often at a restaurant that was owned by two African women. Tried making it myself and it was a sticky mess, lol. The second time I made it, the flavor and texture was far better, but still not like what they serve at the restaurant.

That's hilarious! People here throw a fit when I say I don't like red beans.

I don't favour "friendly rice' when it's all soft and mushy. I like my grains firm but yet not "bullet rice" meaning not too hard. I am wondering if I should try this as soon as Sunday where rice has to be on the menu in my house. If I do make it I will report on how it turned out good or bad. I am hoping it is the former.

I don't favour "friendly rice' when it's all soft and mushy. I like my grains firm but yet not "bullet rice" meaning not too hard. I am wondering if I should try this as soon as Sunday where rice has to be on the menu in my house. If I do make it I will report on how it turned out good or bad. I am hoping it is the former.

I think the grain of rice definitely makes a difference. I am positive I didn't use Jasmine my first time out. Most likely I used brown rice as that's what I generally keep on hand. In the future I think I'll either use Jasmine or basmati. There are so many different types of rice, we could spend months just talking about that, lol.

Back
Top Bottom