Coffee Grinders

Oddly our supermarket no longer sells coffee beans, only ground coffee and keurig pods. I was in Walmart recently and noticed that they have stopped selling beans as well. They do have nespresso pods. Not a good trend.
Yup, even the in-store Starbucks at Kroger sells only ground coffee.

I get my whole bean coffee from ALDI, of all places, and MrsT’s fancy flavored whole bean coffee from the gourmet grocer.

I think there is a taste difference between fresh coffee and "kinda fresh" coffee. I have ground my own coffee for decades. Long ago I used to roast it myself. I still have the roaster. Roast it, grind it while it is still warm and then put it in the french press. THAT is fresh coffee. Coffee beans are available on line and quite affordably at Amazon.

View: https://youtu.be/_zjauS3hAjg

As good as the Vitamix Blender is, I've decided NOT to use it for grinding coffee beans per the reason(s) in the vid, besides, the rapidly spinning blade makes a ridiculous mess inside the container, flipping the beans EVERYWHERE. I'll stick with the k-cup pods & the Keurig machine. It's quicker, cleaner & there's no mess to have to clean up each time that you want to make a cuppa Joe!!!! The only mess ythat you have is inside the k-cup pod, & since you only use the k-cup pod just once, you toss it out & use a fresh new one each time that you make coffee. The only cleaning that you'll have to do is when the Descale light comes on!! :whistling:

Last edited:
View: https://youtu.be/_zjauS3hAjg

As good as the Vitamix Blender is, I've decided NOT to use it for grinding coffee beans per the reason(s) in the vid, besides the rapidly spinning blade makes a mess inside the container, flipping the beans EVERYWHERE. I'll stick with the k-cup pods & the Keurig machine. It's quicker, cleaner & there's no mess to have to clean up each time that you want to make a cuppa Joe!!!! :whistling:
Whirling blades create coffee dust. It is worth the extra cash to have a burr grinder.

Whirling blades create coffee dust. It is worth the extra cash to have a burr grinder.
I use
K-cups..jpg
I use these two things. No need for a coffee grinder at all! I'm happy!!!! :whistling:
Keurig K-Classic Coffees Maker..jpg

Last edited:
Mentions of coffee grinders have popped up in a couple of posts lately, so if your the type to grind your own beans, let’s see yours.

We have coffee three times a week (Fri-Sun mornings), and MrsT drinks different coffee than I, so this grinds two batches of beans on those mornings:

View attachment 109396View attachment 109397

I think it cost me all of $10US, and any of the coffee purists I ever speak with scold me for using a cheap electric grinder. :laugh:
Never ever would I scold you. I got my coffee grinder for $8 on a black Friday deal.

Interesting thing about grinders…while on my current “Aeropress journey,” I’d gotten several admonishments for using a cheap blade grinder, so I was in the market for a decent burr grinder.

I found a quite lengthy coffee grinder review from ATK, whom (as you know) I generally trust, as I’ve rarely had anything they’ve recommended turn out bad.

They reviewed burr and blade grinders, with the intention of comparing them as separate categories, with the assumption that burr grinders are naturally superior to blade grinders, but during their testing, when it came to blind tastings, just as many people chose the blade-ground coffee as did the burr-ground.

Hmmm…so they called in some industry experts, coffee bean buyers, shop owners, and baristas, and had the same results - just as many people chose the blade-ground coffee as the burr-ground.

In talking with the professionals, they learned that what was really important to restaurant/shop workers and owners was that with a burr grinder, they could fill the hopper with a lot of beans, turn it on, and go do something else - something vital in a hectic, busy shop environment. There’s no time for standing there and shaking a blade grinder - takes too much time when they could be multitasking.

They also liked that the burr grinder yielded a consistent grind time after time, and that made the final product more consistent…not better, just more consistent.

That resulted in ATK revising their original assumption, and they ended up recommending three grinders: an overall winner (burr, at I think $160US), a best buy (burr, at I think $100), and a top blade grinder, which was…the Krupps that I posted to start this topic, listed at around $20, which I got on clearance for $10!

Back
Top Bottom