Condensed Milk

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
9:12 PM
What would you use Condensed Milk for that you wouldn't use Cream, Half N Half or Cream Cheese for?

Making fudge, it's the only thing that sets it well. Cream seperates the mixture, cream cheese has the wrong flavor and remains soft, and half and half doesn't exist here.
How could I have forgotten your fudge recipe? I still have some left from Christmas.

What would you use Condensed Milk for that you wouldn't use Cream, Half N Half or Cream Cheese for?
I don't think condensed milk is at all similar to cream or cream cheese (half and half is pretty similar our single cream) so I don't think its a suitable substitute for any of them. I once used it instead of milk to make rice pudding - but it came out FAR too sweet. So about the only thing I use it for now is to make dulche de leche.

Interesting. The uses for Condensed Milk are far different that what I may have envisioned and for reasons which I could not have thought.

So I googled and verified that indeed, it is used a lot in Baking, Confections and Desserts.

Agreed! I've noticed that condensed milk is showing up in more and more dessert recipes lately. I found this post and had to chime in! I never really paid much attention to it until recently. I used it for the first time for pumpkin pie bars over the holiday and I must say, it really added a very nice flavor. I'm beginning to use it more now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed! I've noticed that condensed milk is showing up in more and more dessert recipes lately. I found this post and had to chime in! I never really paid much attention to it until recently. I used it for the first time for pumpkin pie bars over the holiday and I must say, it really added a very nice flavor. I'm beginning to use it more now.

My gosh! I've had the privilege of giving a member their very first LIKE. :okay:

Welcome to CookingBites! :welcome:

Doesn't that thing we call Chicken Fried Steak get coated with a gravy made from Condensed Milk? Maybe not.

Doesn't that thing we call Chicken Fried Steak get coated with a gravy made from Condensed Milk? Maybe not.

I really hope not - that would be horrible. Condensed milk is incredibly sweet.

I think that white gravy is made from milk and the pan juices - possibly with cream added. I'm beginning to wonder if you are confusing condensed milk with evaporated milk. The latter can be used in savoury dishes.

Back
Top Bottom