Condensed Milk

Doesn't that thing we call Chicken Fried Steak get coated with a gravy made from Condensed Milk? Maybe not.
🤢 that sounds absolutely horrendous :yuck:🤮

I'm beginning to wonder if you are confusing condensed milk with evaporated milk. The latter can be used in savoury dishes.
Yes I've been wondering that too.

I just googled and the gravy used for Country Fried Steak is Flour, Milk and Eggs. I had not even considered Evaporated Milk.
No, the gravy does not contain egg. You use an egg wash for the breading for the steak only. The gravy is made with pan drippings, flour, S and P, and milk/cream/half and half, or like we do, stock and cream usually since we like it a little lighter than using all dairy for the gravy.

You definitely DO NOT use condensed milk for the gravy, though you could use evaporated milk. Like the other 2 ladies, I think you are confused. Condensed milk is extremely thick and sweet, as it is milk that has been mixed with eggs and sugar, and cooked down. Evaporated milk is simply milk that has been put through a process that removes a lot of water from the milk.

There's a story on here somewhere about my former son-in-law who was also confused about the 2. He and my daughter (she didn't really cook at the time) were trying to make fudge. Their recipe called for condensed milk, but he bought evaporated milk. Their fudge ended up being hot fudge sauce for ice cream.

Condensed milk is extremely thick and sweet, as it is milk that has been mixed with eggs and sugar, and cooked down.

In the UK it doesn't contain egg. Its milk which has been reduced down to remove nearly all water content (plus heaps of sugar added).

I used to know a boy when I was a kid who ate condensed milk sandwiches. He was extremely fat!

I had condensed milk sandwiches as a kid, I was always skin
In the UK it doesn't contain egg. Its milk which has been reduced down to remove nearly all water content (plus heaps of sugar added).

I used to know a boy when I was a kid who ate condensed milk sandwiches. He was extremely fat!

When DD was an infant, I baby sat a little boy whose mother sent sandwich bread and condensed milk for his after school snack. He was a little pudge.

You are correct. I looked it up. I've always thought it had eggs in it, maybe it did a long time ago? Something must have given me that idea.

We use a lot here, my mums Mayo,has a tin of it, with other stuff. The ONE thing my wife makes at Xmas is mint balls, everyone loves them. Oddfellows mints and choc biscuit and condensed milk. Kids love them so she makes a triple batch.

Russ

I had condensed milk sandwiches as a kid, I was always skinny

Our son when small would only eat tomato sauce sammiches. Wife got that worried she took him to doctor. He said he's fine, he will eat when he's ready. Sure enough puberty then he became an eating machine. I'm glad his kids are the same, big eaters.son and his friend would eat a 5 litre of ice cream in one sitting.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom