Recipe Coney Island Hotdog Sauce My Version

CraigC

Guru
Local time
12:15 PM
This is based on a preparation I use for pan seared and sauteed hotdog that are served over mashed potatoes. The sauce by itself makes a good topping for hotdogs. I usually add mustard on top of the sauce

Ingredients
1 Can 14.5 oz stewed tomatoes
1 Medium onion thinly sliced
1 to 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp EVOO
Crystal or other hot sauce to taste
Chicken stock or water as needed

Directions
(1) In a sauce pan, over med-high add the olive oil.
(2) Add onions and saute until soft. Adding stock if needed to keep from drying out.
(3) Add garlic until fragrant.
(4) Add stewed tomatoes and hot sauce, simmer till thickened.
Serve immediately!

Coney Island (in Brooklyn, New York) brings back fond memories from my childhood - Summers on the beach (Bay 16), Steeplechase, and Nathan's hot dogs. But, I never had or heard of anything called "Coney ISLAND" sauce. Just saying.

I've always rather fancied going there.

So many fond memories growing up. You could see the parachute ride from the beach. A fellow with a bandana & a shopping bag walked up & down the beach yelling "get your hot dogs, knishes, ice cold lemonade." We went to Nathan's for hot dogs, chow mein on a bun, burgers & fat crinkle cut potatoes in a bag with ketchup - even during the winter. Even grandma had a beer & a hot dog. She lived a block from the beach & the streets had names like Neptune & Mermaid avenue. The whole family (aunt, uncle, cousins) spent weekends on the beach. Those were the days of cotton candy, merry-go-rounds & fireworks. But, sorry, no Coney sauce. So, I'm very protective of the Coney Island name & dog.

Eta: Re a hot dog dish made with beef heart sauce called a Coney Dog *shudder*... Also not from Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York. Maybe Michigan, but definitely not New York. I needed to get that off my chest! Lol

Last edited:
This is a topic "near and dear" to my heart. Detroit is a mecca for Coney Island restuarants. It is estimated about 500 coney island restaurants exist in Detroit today. Here is a great article describing the history of the Coney Island Restaurants in Detroit.

Great bit of personal insight @Karen W .

Thank you @CraigC for the recipe.

Personal experience, rather than insight :wink:

I read the article prior to your posting the link. Still feel the "Island" part is a misnomer. He/she is correct about immigrants coming through Ellis Island. Other than that, don't see the connection to Coney Island (Nathan's) New York hot dogs. Personally, I gave the article what we native New Yorkers would call "A Bronx Cheer." Imo, If you want a New York hot dog, you don't go to Michigan. Nathan's opened in California years ago. Nothing special. They closed, if I'm not mistaken. We can agree to disagree. :)

I'm all about personal versions, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom