The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:57 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
4acbadf7-a901-4d17-80e5-7f8ab79d4772-jpeg.jpg

Frutti di Mare is an Italian dish that translates literally to fruit of the sea. It always involves mollusks (clams, mussels) and octopus, but rarely (if ever) fish. This recipe literally translates to canned fruit of the sea. Since I invented it, I can decide what it includes, so I have decided to include canned fish. This is your opportunity to use up the canned seafood in your cupboard with a meal you can throw together any time. I had eels, kippers, and sardines. I also had smoked mussels, which ties it back to the original, as well as providing a lot of flavor. I decided to use the oil from canned anchovies...I save this oil every time I open a can.

This came together incredibly well, and I am honestly surprised by how good it is.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon oil from anchovy jar (or canola oil + 1 chopped anchovy fillet)
1 medium onion, diced
1 pound tomatoes, cored and diced (or good quality canned tomatoes)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons capers
7 ounces canned sardines
3.5 ounces canned kippers
3.5 ounces canned eels
3.5 ounces canned smoked mussels
1/2 pound cooked spaghetti
salt to taste (you won't need much)
chives, diced

Directions

1. Heat anchovy oil on medium heat in a large pan. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes, then add the tomato. Continue cooking until the tomato is softened and most of the liquid is evaporated. You will want some caramelization of the tomato to happen (note the brown bits in Step 2).

2. Stir in lemon zest and cook for another minute. Stir in capers.

3. Stir in the sardines, capers, eel, and mussels to fully combine with the rest of the ingredients.

clockwise from left: kippers, sardines, mussels, and eel.

4. Stir in the pasta until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Add salt to taste if needed. Serve with diced chives.

Love it, but it's crying out for some Kalamata olives. :whistling:

Brilliant idea!

I also originally planned to use a white wine reduction, but I forgot (even though I put the wine bottle on my counter as a tangible reminder). I will incorporate both of these things the next time I make this, though I'm really more interested in the effect of the olives. :)

Brilliant idea!

I also originally planned to use a white wine reduction, but I forgot (even though I put the wine bottle on my counter as a tangible reminder). I will incorporate both of these things the next time I make this, though I'm really more interested in the effect of the olives. :)
The best way to not forget is to pour yourself ONE glass while you are cooking and sip on it during the process of cooking. That way you have a constant reminder. Believe me, I know this from experience.

View attachment 71702

Frutti di Mare is an Italian dish that translates literally to fruit of the sea. It always involves mollusks (clams, mussels) and octopus, but rarely (if ever) fish. This recipe literally translates to canned fruit of the sea. Since I invented it, I can decide what it includes, so I have decided to include canned fish. This is your opportunity to use up the canned seafood in your cupboard with a meal you can throw together any time. I had eels, kippers, and sardines. I also had smoked mussels, which ties it back to the original, as well as providing a lot of flavor. I decided to use the oil from canned anchovies...I save this oil every time I open a can.

This came together incredibly well, and I am honestly surprised by how good it is.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon oil from anchovy jar (or canola oil + 1 chopped anchovy fillet)
1 medium onion, diced
1 pound tomatoes, cored and diced (or good quality canned tomatoes)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons capers
7 ounces canned sardines
3.5 ounces canned kippers
3.5 ounces canned eels
3.5 ounces canned smoked mussels
1/2 pound cooked spaghetti
salt to taste (you won't need much)
chives, diced

Directions

1. Heat anchovy oil on medium heat in a large pan. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes, then add the tomato. Continue cooking until the tomato is softened and most of the liquid is evaporated. You will want some caramelization of the tomato to happen (note the brown bits in Step 2).

2. Stir in lemon zest and cook for another minute. Stir in capers.

View attachment 71696

View attachment 71698

3. Stir in the sardines, capers, eel, and mussels to fully combine with the rest of the ingredients.

clockwise from left: kippers, sardines, mussels, and eel.
View attachment 71694

View attachment 71695

4. Stir in the pasta until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Add salt to taste if needed. Serve with diced chives.

View attachment 71697

Absolutely bravo for using canned (tinned) fish. Its much underrated.

Back
Top Bottom