Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
5 TB unsalted butter
4 cups minced celery
1 quart chicken stock or broth
2 tsp cognac, rum, or dry sherry, optional
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

Directions
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and then add the celery. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, without browning the celery. Add the stock/broth, bring to a simmer, and cook uncovered an additional 30 minutes. Strain through a sieve lined with a quadruple thickness of cheesecloth. Add the optional alcohol and salt and pepper to taste.

Recipe from The Cook's Bible, Christopher Kimball

The CookingBites recipe challenge: celery, celeriac, celery salt & celery seeds

Simple as can be, as you said. I will definitely make this.

But, some questions about the alcohol:
  • Cognac and sherry have a similar effect on the taste, but rum is very different. What do you recommend?
  • Is there any residual alcohol flavor from adding it in at the end, versus reducing it earlier in the recipe?
  • Do you prefer with or without the alcohol?
My list of questions was longer than your recipe. :laugh:

Cognac and sherry have a similar effect on the taste, but rum is very different. What do you recommend?
I have all three, but chose the cognac because it was closer to me, but the sherry would have been fine. I certainly wouldn’t discount the rum, but it’d be my last choice.

Is there any residual alcohol flavor from adding it in at the end, versus reducing it earlier in the recipe?
Yes, absolutely, which I think is the point of adding this at the end. You want to retain that instead of cooking it out.

I’m making a bean soup today that does the same thing - a little bit of cognac at the end.

Do you prefer with or without the alcohol?
Definitely with. It’s that little note of brightness the small amount of booze adds that gives this an air of elegance!

I have all three, but chose the cognac because it was closer to me, but the sherry would have been fine. I certainly wouldn’t discount the rum, but it’d be my last choice.

Yes, absolutely, which I think is the point of adding this at the end. You want to retain that instead of cooking it out.

I’m making a bean soup today that does the same thing - a little bit of cognac at the end.

Definitely with. It’s that little note of brightness the small amount of booze adds that gives this an air of elegance!

Now that I think of it, you can make it, and have shot glasses ready with each to add the liquor to your bowl. A whole shot is more than you need for the bowl, but not more than you need for your belly.

Back
Top Bottom