Cooking AMA (Ask Me Anything)

How would you do a roast in the oven? What cut? What size? Don't want to do a big one. Or would I be better off just cooking a steak? :unsure:

I wouldn't advize you to cook a steak it will get quite tough.

For roast lamb etc I like a nice mirepoix on the base of the tray with water so it doesn't burn. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Make cuts in the meat and stuff it with some fresh thyme or rosemary.

Smother the whole roast with seeded mustard or Dijon mustard.

Place baking paper over the top and ontop of that some alaminium foil.

Cooking times will vary depending on the size and how you want it cooked.

Hi @CraigC!

Thanks it is a cool little place!

Not very familiar at all with it to be honest.

Would love you to tag me in some posts on it so i can try some things out!

Tim.

Don't know if you can get achiote paste or annatto seeds, but this dish is very popular in the Yucatan Peninsula region of Mexico.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cochinita-pibil.11434/

This one is from Cuba. We have a large Cuban population where I live and I grew up with the refugees from the Castro regime. We make quite a bit of Cuban food.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cuban-style-pork-roast.11491/

Don't know if you can get achiote paste or annatto seeds, but this dish is very popular in the Yucatan Peninsula region of Mexico.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cochinita-pibil.11434/

Its a great dish - and I made the recipe as posted by @CraigC 's. It was only possible for me to get achiote paste on line in the UK but if you have never tasted it you are in for a treat. Apart from colouring dishes an intense red it has a very special distinctive taste, quite unlike anything I've tasted before.

fullsizeoutput_2b5b.jpeg

Last edited:
Its a great dish - and I made the recipe as posted by @CraigC 's. It was only possible for me to get achiote paste on line in the UK but if you have never tasted it you are in for a treat. Apart from colouring dishes an intense red it has a very special distinctive taste, quite unlike anything I've tasted before.
I totally agree...it has an earthy taste that's really remarkable. And, look at that picture: even the pig seems happy with the seasoning!

Just tinker with it like you said.

Try different things to get the result you want by trial and error.

You will figure it out, and once you figure out where you went wrong you will be able to do it right every time.

I solved it quite simply. I left the oil in the fridge overnight and it cleared. After googling around afterwards, I noticed that some recipes state leaving it overnight in the fridge (but not why!). Recipe link below:

Parsley Oil

fullsizeoutput_48ac.jpeg

Thank you @timmyc - cooking questions often pop up on the forum. Don't be surprised if a moderator creates a new thread from a question asked in this thread. Firstly, we desperately need new threads and secondly, different topics under a general thread heading will quickly get 'lost' as they aren't searchable.

Also - I should add that quite a few folk here are knowledgable about different types of cuisine and I've certainly learned from them despite the fact I'm a fairly experienced cook.

Having said this, I have a question. Today I attempted to make parsley oil for the CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Parsley. I'm talking about bright vivid green oil. I know how to keep the parsley green by blanching and putting in iced water. So far, so good. Next step was remove as much water as possible and partially freeze (which makes it easier to chop up). Then blend with oil and strain the mix through muslin.

When I blended it (using a stick blender) it formed an emulsion - not the intention! I strained this and think I can use it to make a gorgeous parsley mayo - but not what I wanted. I want to achieve a bright green oil rather like the one pictured here:

View attachment 28114
I will try to remember to ask her but a friend of mine uses baking soda to keep the color. Don’t try It because I think that is what she uses

Back
Top Bottom