Cooking and Eating in Summer

ChanellG

Guru
Local time
4:09 AM
It's starting to get warm here - and by warm I mean we'll be lucky to actually enjoy the rest of spring without hitting 90 degrees and oppressive humidity. Once the heat is on I don't even want to eat some days let alone cook. I look for things that are simple to prepare that don't require spending time in a hot kitchen.

One of my favorite things is to make caprese. I also try to keep bean thread noodles and spring roll wrappers on hand so I can make rolls and not have to cook. I'd like to learn more about cooking outdoors (the old fashioned way) and I'd love to have a solar oven. (BTW, I don't grill/BBQ)

How do you escape the heat of summer, and what do you like to eat when it gets hot?

I'm in the UK where things never really get too hot so I'm quite happy to cook and eat outside once the sun starts shining. Besides the BBQ, I'll do meals that require minimal cooking, such as hot baguettes and salads. I don't like to spend too much time at the cooker during a warm spell either and I certainly never feel like cooking any stews or casseroles.

during the week in the summer we carry on as any time of the year,
but on days off we go to the beach hut or just go to a nearby beach and bbq .looking out to sea,a mixed salad and a hot dog is not cordon bleu but its where you eat it makes this memory

I often don't cook in the summer. I'm a crockpot big batch person anyway because of my schedule. In the winter I would warm up my meal, but if I am hot I will eat it straight out of the refrigerator to cook myself down. It's amazing how many things can actually pretty pretty good cold when you are hot.

It's starting to get warm here - and by warm I mean we'll be lucky to actually enjoy the rest of spring without hitting 90 degrees and oppressive humidity. Once the heat is on I don't even want to eat some days let alone cook. I look for things that are simple to prepare that don't require spending time in a hot kitchen.

One of my favorite things is to make caprese. I also try to keep bean thread noodles and spring roll wrappers on hand so I can make rolls and not have to cook. I'd like to learn more about cooking outdoors (the old fashioned way) and I'd love to have a solar oven. (BTW, I don't grill/BBQ)

How do you escape the heat of summer, and what do you like to eat when it gets hot?

We are enjoying summer here as well. Outside temp is 75 degrees.

No cooking hot meals during the hot weather on torridly hot days - especially not in the oven! :headshake:

We are enjoying summer here as well. Outside temp is 75 degrees.

No cooking hot meals during the hot weather on torridly hot days - especially not in the oven! :headshake:

LOL, what happened to spring? 75 degrees sounds great! it's already been climbing into the 80s here. It's been breezy though with some cloud cover on and off the past week - which makes working outside in the garden much more pleasant. I'm going to hate to say goodbye to the cool spring mornings with the summer muggies set in.

I often don't cook in the summer. I'm a crockpot big batch person anyway because of my schedule. In the winter I would warm up my meal, but if I am hot I will eat it straight out of the refrigerator to cook myself down. It's amazing how many things can actually pretty pretty good cold when you are hot.

I've had some pretty good chilled soups. One in particular last year was a corn broth served with a lump of crabmeat in the center. Yum! Nice change from salads, though I've never made anything like that at home. I seem to remember having a chilled avocado soup a while back as well, which was delicious. I've made that one at home with my own stock.

during the week in the summer we carry on as any time of the year,
but on days off we go to the beach hut or just go to a nearby beach and bbq .looking out to sea,a mixed salad and a hot dog is not cordon bleu but its where you eat it makes this memory

I'll skip the hot dog, but ceviche on the beach sounds great! Unfortunately, there are no decent beaches anywhere nearby where I live. I'm going to have to try to start planning a little get away :) It will have to be someplace in driving distance of course - can't leave my garden unattended for long.

LOL, what happened to spring? 75 degrees sounds great! it's already been climbing into the 80s here. It's been breezy though with some cloud cover on and off the past week - which makes working outside in the garden much more pleasant. I'm going to hate to say goodbye to the cool spring mornings with the summer muggies set in.

Hah!!
I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
We had a very rough & harsh winter from January almost to the end of March. This is thought of as a blessing in disguise!!
For all that harsh rough bitterly cold and all those monster snowstorms that seemingly never ended! An early summer for all that we've been through this past winter. :wink:

I can't make much of a contribution here as I can only speak to one type of weather and it's mostly sunshine. The rainy season here or there and a chill in the colder months so really no special food based on the weather. I really have the right to be showing off about sea baths and barbecues pretty much anytime of the year but the sad thing is that I don't take advantage of the same.
So long story short, I'll be cooking in Summer pretty much anything I would cook all year round.

Last edited:
I'll skip the hot dog, but ceviche on the beach sounds great! Unfortunately, there are no decent beaches anywhere nearby where I live. I'm going to have to try to start planning a little get away :) It will have to be someplace in driving distance of course - can't leave my garden unattended for long.
We will drive to a better or quieter beach ,we are spoilt ,we can get to some of the best beaches within the South in under a hour ,you can just look out to Isle of weight at most,
I bbq loads of seafood as well ,king prawns ,salmons ,makeral ,bass and marinaded meats ,I can even steam potatoes in foil around the coals on my portable bbq

We will drive to a better or quieter beach ,we are spoilt ,we can get to some of the best beaches within the South in under a hour ,you can just look out to Isle of weight at most,
I bbq loads of seafood as well ,king prawns ,salmons ,makeral ,bass and marinaded meats ,I can even steam potatoes in foil around the coals on my portable bbq

I'm coming over, lol! That's my kind of cookout! My seasonal gig has come to an end and I am job hunting again. I am doing a litltl gardening on the side, but still only shopping lightly for what I can use over a couple days. I picked up humus and dolmas yesterday, as well as fruit and cheese. Maybe if the basil has had a growth spurt I'll make caprese.

Hah!!
I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
We had a very rough & harsh winter from January almost to the end of March. This is thought of as a blessing in disguise!!
For all that harsh rough bitterly cold and all those monster snowstorms that seemingly never ended! An early summer for all that we've been through this past winter. :wink:

We were fortunate to have an easy winter this time around. My concern now though is over this early "tropical" activity before hurricane season even begins. The last thing I want is to have the entire city shut down, or have to be chased out of town for a big storm. I've put a lot of work in the garden this year as well.

We were fortunate to have an easy winter this time around. My concern now though is over this early "tropical" activity before hurricane season even begins. The last thing I want is to have the entire city shut down, or have to be chased out of town for a big storm. I've put a lot of work in the garden this year as well.

I just found out the other day on the news that there are STILL several huge piles of dirty snow still around in parts of Boston!!
I had suspected that this would happen, because we were more than shoulder-deep in snow. We got at least 2 monster snowstorms in less than a week at a time!! :headshake:

I just found out the other day on the news that there are STILL several huge piles of dirty snow still around in parts of Boston!!
I had suspected that this would happen, because we were more than shoulder-deep in snow. We got at least 2 monster snowstorms in less than a week at a time!! :headshake:

Is that so about Boston? My sis lives there. I reckon I am going to have to bottle some sunshine for her. She looks forward to coming home every year to get away from some of the cold months. She's not doing particularly well physically so she gets help with her cooking. A Caribbean family takes care of her and she often speaks of a nice soup most weeks of the year. I guess in the colder months it's warmly received.

Back
Top Bottom