Cooking and Eating in Summer

That doesn't sound odd at all, lol, that sounds like lunch! Can I have peanut sauce with that? The only thing missing was bean thread noodles. I've always thought the wrappers were rice, but unless there is more than one type, it appears they are made from tapioca. Either way, I love the convenience of them and that you can have them "cold."
It's not the most conventional combo mint and she'll fish but as I said it does work,
Noodles would work well and cucumber ,pickled cucumber would be great ,I serve a chilli and sweet soy dipping sauce with it

It's not the most conventional combo mint and she'll fish but as I said it does work,
Noodles would work well and cucumber ,pickled cucumber would be great ,I serve a chilli and sweet soy dipping sauce with it

Actually it's very conventional for some people :). That's how it's made in some Vietnamese cooking aproaches. I usually have it with fresh cucumber cut in strips or Julienne, but at a Vietnamese restaurant it might be served with both pickled carrot and cucumber.

What do you put in the chili soy sauce?

Actually it's very conventional for some people :). That's how it's made in some Vietnamese cooking aproaches. I usually have it with fresh cucumber cut in strips or Julienne, but at a Vietnamese restaurant it might be served with both pickled carrot and cucumber.

What do you put in the chili soy sauce?
Light soy,ketchup manis fresh chilli and fresh coriander ,a little fresh or pickled ginger

It does become rather tough to use the oven in the summer months - here in Ohio it can get incredibly humid in addition to being really hot, and it's absolutely miserable. Throw a hot oven into the mix and it makes things nearly unbearable. I do love the smell and flavors of grilled/bbq stuff in the summer, but it's also rather easy to re-create a lot of those dishes indoors with a slow cooker/pressure cooker, then just throwing them on a grill pan or an electric grill to finish them off. Ribs in particular can be done in this manner - just toss them into a slow cooker and let it do it's thing, then baste them with a glaze and pop them on a grill pan to get all caramelized and charred. You could also pop them under the broiler to finish off too - yes you're using your oven, but it's only for a couple minutes, so it's not going to heat your place up like running it for hours would.

Similarly, I will make pulled pork in the pressure cooker or slow cooker, then shred it, toss it in the sauce, then pop it under a broiler or in a high oven for just a few minutes to thicken the sauce and caramelize the top.

Today it is forecasted to reach 90 degrees. Cooking in this house during the summer is light, mostly salads, and wraps. We do BBQ enough for several days at a time.

its been terrible here in the south of the uk today feels more like autumn,yesterday we sat outside all day and evening and had a bbq,but today we have hibernated and have a slow roasted harris pork shoulder in

Nothing really changes in my home during the summer as far as cooking is concerned. We never cook outside, except during the Easter holidays when we use a coal stove to fry a lot of fishes to make escovitch fish for the season. Most times it's hot here but we still cook a big pot of soup at least once per week. It is customary for families to do this every Saturday no matter what the weather is like.

Light soy,ketchup manis fresh chilli and fresh coriander ,a little fresh or pickled ginger

By fresh coriander, do you mean the leaves? My plant has gone to seed and I'm anxious to pull it up, but the seeds haven't browned yet. By fresh chili, do you mean red chili pepper? What is manis? I'm not familiar with that.

It does become rather tough to use the oven in the summer months - here in Ohio it can get incredibly humid..e. Throw a hot oven into the mix and it makes things nearly unbearable...

...Similarly, I will make pulled pork in the pressure cooker or slow cooker, then shred it, toss it in the sauce, then pop it under a broiler or in a high oven for just a few minutes to thicken the sauce and caramelize the top.

I don't eat meat, so that's not an issue for me. Grilling outside isn't a big thing with me and I really wonder if it shouldn't be considered some kind of pollution hazard the way some people do it. I didn't realize Ohio was so humid. New Orleans must be the humidity capital of the world.

Today it is forecasted to reach 90 degrees. Cooking in this house during the summer is light, mostly salads, and wraps. We do BBQ enough for several days at a time.

That's where I am now, minus the barbecue. I have been buying hummus, guacamole, dolmas, salad greens... my father gave me fresh shrimp and I was so busy it took me three days to peel and cook them. I just can't do anything that requires a lot of preparation at the moment, though that's not so much about the heat as it is about convenience.

its been terrible here in the south of the uk today feels more like autumn,yesterday we sat outside all day and evening and had a bbq,but today we have hibernated and have a slow roasted harris pork shoulder in

Where in the UK? I hear the weather has been similar to here, only not as warm and with more wind. A friend in Somerset was just commenting on the end of the frost and starting to set stuff out in the garden. Frost ended here ages ago!

Nothing really changes in my home during the summer as far as cooking is concerned. We never cook outside, except during the Easter holidays when we use a coal stove to fry a lot of fishes to make escovitch fish for the season. Most times it's hot here but we still cook a big pot of soup at least once per week. It is customary for families to do this every Saturday no matter what the weather is like.

In what part of the world do you live? I spend a lot of time outside working in my garden so it would actually be efficient for me to cook outdoors if I had something like a solar oven. I could just set everything up and come back for the food when I was done with my yard work.

I like the convenience of soup, but I haven't made any of my own in a while. When it's hot, soup can make you feel more hot, but it's a healthy habit to consume it on a regular basis.

By fresh coriander, do you mean the leaves? My plant has gone to seed and I'm anxious to pull it up, but the seeds haven't browned yet. By fresh chili, do you mean red chili pepper? What is manis? I'm not familiar with that.
ketchup manis is sweet soy sauce,quite thick
red chilli pepper ,correct
coriander to me is the fresh leave i believe some areas of the globe it is known by a different name,

That's where I am now, minus the barbecue. I have been buying hummus, guacamole, dolmas, salad greens... my father gave me fresh shrimp and I was so busy it took me three days to peel and cook them. I just can't do anything that requires a lot of preparation at the moment, though that's not so much about the heat as it is about convenience.

i am south of England between Salisbury and southampton ,we had frosts last week and the weather is really blowy as i type this,I've had to fleece up the young soft plants in the garden,
they are still having snow on the Scottish highlands on the tops of the mountain ranges

Where in the UK? I hear the weather has been similar to here, only not as warm and with more wind. A friend in Somerset was just commenting on the end of the frost and starting to set stuff out in the garden. Frost ended here ages ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the Philippines, and it's summer here already. The temperature is crazy! In the afternoon, the temperature sometimes reaches 40 degrees Celsius. Anyway, I do not want to be in front of the stove when it's really hot, so I just make something quick and easy like sandwiches for lunch. I also make macaroni or potato salad. Aside from these, I love making my own ice cream every summer! :D

ketchup manis is sweet soy sauce,quite thick
red chilli pepper ,correct
coriander to me is the fresh leave i believe some areas of the globe it is known by a different name,

i am south of England between Salisbury and southampton ,we had frosts last week and the weather is really blowy as i type this,I've had to fleece up the young soft plants in the garden,
they are still having snow on the Scottish highlands on the tops of the mountain ranges

Yes, here it's known as cilantro. I have a plant in the back that has gone to seed. I'm just waiting for them all to turn brown so I can pull it up. I have some seed saved from last year still, so I will likely give it away. I haven't decided if I want to plant more because it bolts easily in the heat and I haven't really been cooking.

My friend is in Somerset, in Bridport, at least for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom