Cooking and Eating in Summer

I live in the Philippines, and it's summer here already. The temperature is crazy! In the afternoon, the temperature sometimes reaches 40 degrees Celsius. Anyway, I do not want to be in front of the stove when it's really hot, so I just make something quick and easy like sandwiches for lunch. I also make macaroni or potato salad. Aside from these, I love making my own ice cream every summer! :D

OMG, that's hot! I just used a calculator to figure out the temperature in Fahrenheit. With the humidity we have here no one would be able to stand being outside at that temperature. Forget cooking, lol. I think I would be on a liquid diet with fruits and salad (and popsicles, lol).

Yes, here it's known as cilantro. I have a plant in the back that has gone to seed. I'm just waiting for them all to turn brown so I can pull it up. I have some seed saved from last year still, so I will likely give it away. I haven't decided if I want to plant more because it bolts easily in the heat and I haven't really been cooking.

My friend is in Somerset, in Bridport, at least for the time being.
cilantro ,thats the name ,its quite delicate to grow,
wow! you have friends in Bridport ,i love Bridport's beach area West Bay ,it is 20km from where i was born,and I worked their in the 80s,Beautiful scenery,
small world isn't it!!!!

I was at Walmart yesterday and I didn't see the wrappers. Is there a World Market near you? They sell them, as does Whole Foods. There's an online Asian food grocer I get emails from; I'll try and remember to check to see if they have them.

I love Nori - the seaweed sheets. You can use them for hand rolling sushi, snipped or torn over rice, or in soup. You can get little rectangles of it roasted and salted for snacking.

I do think I recall hearing they can be made from different ingredients, so rice vs tapioca sounds right, since they'd both be starchy. @Berties that sounds delicious, and yes, please to the peanut sauce @ChanellG!

Yes, there's a World Market that's about 30 minutes away. I wish that, Whole Foods, and the Asian market were all closer. I can probably just order online, and get it here quicker than waiting until I have the time, etc., to drive over there. I've ordered from an Asian market online, but it's been a while. I'll figure it out, though, because I really want to make them!

Last edited:
I do think I recall hearing they can be made from different ingredients, so rice vs tapioca sounds right, since they'd both be starchy. @Berties that sounds delicious, and yes, please to the peanut sauce @ChanellG!

Yes, there's a World Market that's about 30 minutes away. I wish that, Whole Foods, and the Asian market were all closer. I can probably just order online, and get it here quicker than waiting until I have the time, etc., to drive over there. I've ordered from an Asian market online, but it's been a while. I'll figure it out, though, because I really want to make them!

You should plan a day when you can drive to the World Market and do other things in the same area or along the route to getting there. Then you can stock up as they also have the bean thread noodles and different spices, oils, satay, and so many other things from wine to coffee to cookware. I know it's part of the so-called "evil big box" conglomeration, but it's convenient and they have great stuff!

cilantro ,thats the name ,its quite delicate to grow,
wow! you have friends in Bridport ,i love Bridport's beach area West Bay ,it is 20km from where i was born,and I worked their in the 80s,Beautiful scenery,
small world isn't it!!!!

The internet has connected us in a way probably no one ever thought was imaginable. My friend is often at the beach in West Bay. He also has an allotment nearby he tends that he shares with a family member. I forget where it is that he's from originally...

Yes, I stay away from World Market, not for that reason, but so I don't blow my budget. I have a weakness for the types of items they sell, so I am avoiding stores like that until my budget is better. I'm sure I can find some of what I need nearby. I'm pretty sure I saw the bean thread noodles at Kroger, so I'll start off with those and the wrappers, when I find them. I have a feeling one of these days, my pantry is going to have a section specifically for those types of items:D.

Yes, I stay away from World Market, not for that reason, but so I don't blow my budget. I have a weakness for the types of items they sell, so I am avoiding stores like that until my budget is better. I'm sure I can find some of what I need nearby. I'm pretty sure I saw the bean thread noodles at Kroger, so I'll start off with those and the wrappers, when I find them. I have a feeling one of these days, my pantry is going to have a section specifically for those types of items:D.

LOL, trust me, I understand! Are you on their email list? They send out messages with specials and they usually send out a coupon for your birthday. I have to drive a little ways to get to them, so it's not always convenient for me. I'd like to go out there and do some shopping right now, but I'm on a budget once again. (Sigh.) BTW, those items make great pantry staples.

LOL, trust me, I understand! Are you on their email list? They send out messages with specials and they usually send out a coupon for your birthday. I have to drive a little ways to get to them, so it's not always convenient for me. I'd like to go out there and do some shopping right now, but I'm on a budget once again. (Sigh.) BTW, those items make great pantry staples.

I am on their list, I love World Market way too much :laugh:. They have the best hollow chocolate Christmas ornaments, and coffee syrups, and...oh never mind, you understand :p:. Hmmm, I didn't know about the birthday coupon, but will be watching for that. Hopefully I'll remember to check the email message and get it, maybe then I can pick up a few of those specialty items and make a nice birthday meal :D.

I am on their list, I love World Market way too much :laugh:. They have the best hollow chocolate Christmas ornaments, and coffee syrups, and...oh never mind, you understand :p:. Hmmm, I didn't know about the birthday coupon, but will be watching for that. Hopefully I'll remember to check the email message and get it, maybe then I can pick up a few of those specialty items and make a nice birthday meal :D.

They used to send an email with a free voucher, but then it started to be a discount offer. My birthday is coming up shortly, I'll let you know if they send anything out. I could do with some spring roll wrappers, bean threads, and some other things. I think they even sell my favorite chocolate.

They used to send an email with a free voucher, but then it started to be a discount offer. My birthday is coming up shortly, I'll let you know if they send anything out. I could do with some spring roll wrappers, bean threads, and some other things. I think they even sell my favorite chocolate.

Lately I don't even open emails from companies like that, because it's too tempting to spend money I don't have, so I'll take you up on that offer. If it's a good discount or freebie, that would be great!

Of course the number one thing that I'd eat during summer is ice cream! Who gets tired of ice cream anyways? I'd eat it even when it's a bit cold out. But we eat ice cream all year round from where I'm from because I'm from a tropical country. I also like getting some snow cones and trying out different desserts like "Patbingsoo" a Korean dessert that has shaved ice, ice cream and some fruits or other treats. I'd also get "Halo-halo" sometimes which is a Filipino dessert similar to "Patbingsoo" only it has different ingredients like jelly, red beans, coconuts and so much more.

Lately I don't even open emails from companies like that, because it's too tempting to spend money I don't have, so I'll take you up on that offer. If it's a good discount or freebie, that would be great!

LOL, I know what you mean. I recently found myself unexpectedly unemployed when my seasonal garden center job abruptly came to an end. If I'd had a better idea of the time frame I could have planned differently. What can you do though? That's life some times. Fortunately, because it's my birthday, my mom will probably want to take me shopping :)

Of course the number one thing that I'd eat during summer is ice cream! Who gets tired of ice cream anyways? I'd eat it even when it's a bit cold out. But we eat ice cream all year round from where I'm from because I'm from a tropical country. I also like getting some snow cones and trying out different desserts like "Patbingsoo" a Korean dessert that has shaved ice, ice cream and some fruits or other treats. I'd also get "Halo-halo" sometimes which is a Filipino dessert similar to "Patbingsoo" only it has different ingredients like jelly, red beans, coconuts and so much more.

LOL, I got tired of ice cream years ago. At some point, maybe in the 90s, I switched to frozen yogurt, but now I barely have any dairy (I'll never give up cheese!) so I just stick to sorbet. It's fruity and refreshing and it brings you back after being out in the oppressive summer heat. I'd like to start making my own at home as it's not always easy to find in the store.

LOL, I know what you mean. I recently found myself unexpectedly unemployed when my seasonal garden center job abruptly came to an end. If I'd had a better idea of the time frame I could have planned differently. What can you do though? That's life some times. Fortunately, because it's my birthday, my mom will probably want to take me shopping :)

So, when exactly is your birthday:cake:? Do you have any special plans? Shopping with your mom sounds like fun!

I saw a recipe just yesterday for making fudgsicles using milk and nutella. I might try it, since I love frozen treats. Sorbet is a delicious one, and I also enjoy frozen custard. Seeing as it's June, I guess it's time for me to start pulling out the ice cream recipes, and make a few :happy::hungry:

So, when exactly is your birthday:cake:? Do you have any special plans? Shopping with your mom sounds like fun!

I saw a recipe just yesterday for making fudgsicles using milk and nutella. I might try it, since I love frozen treats. Sorbet is a delicious one, and I also enjoy frozen custard. Seeing as it's June, I guess it's time for me to start pulling out the ice cream recipes, and make a few :happy::hungry:

Actually, it's today! We did the birthday shopping this past Thursday. My computer monitor was messed up so I opted for a new machine. Got twice the laptop for what I paid for the last one. It's an adjustment getting used to it though. The keyboard is larger and laid out more like the old PCs... it has all these "charms" and apps... (sigh).

Thankfully, because I use Chrome as my browser it was easy to get back to my frequently visited sites and bookmarks. I've been too busy to bother with cooking, however.

Back
Top Bottom