Cooking/Kitchen Quirks

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:29 AM
Today, I was doing the usual “baker’s wash” of cleaning a bowl I’d used to mix up some dough with a bit of flour, and rubbing it over the areas of stuck-on dough to pull them away from the bowl.

MrsT came in the kitchen for something, then noted, “You do that a lot, you know…”

“Do what? Clean bowls? Yeah, tell me about it!”

“No. Whenever you’re using your hands like that, you move your mouth, like you’re chewing gum. Like, when you’re sprinkling salt on something, and rubbing your fingers together, you know, you’re making the same motion with your mouth.”

Ok… :unsure:

I’ve noticed, from watching a lot of Jacques Pepin shows, that he nearly always taps his knife on the board before commencing his lightning-fast chopping/slicing/dicing, so I suppose we all have them.

What are your quirky cooking/kitchen habits? Don’t be shy!

Rinsing or wiping the knife blade when switching between ingredients even when it’s all ending up in the same bowl so it really doesn’t matter if the ingredients mix on the blade 😂

Getting a clean tea towel out at the beginning nearly every cook. I use far too many tea towels.
Sometimes I force myself to not get a clean tea towel but I really don’t enjoy it.
The nurse in me is busy calculating the potential bacterial count in a tea towel that’s been there all day and wondering whether I’m wiping things clean or adding germs on 😂

Don’t get me wrong I’m no germaphobe, peck of dirt n all that but kitchen equipment has to be free from contamination.

Back
Top Bottom