Cooking over an open fire/campfire (Poll)

Have you ever cooked over an open fire, such as a campfire?

• No, I've never done such a thing

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I've done it once or twice, but it's not a regular thing

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I've done it many times

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

caseydog

Local time
9:32 PM
How many here have ever cooked over an open fire, like a campfire? Did/do you like it? What have you cooked?

CD

I cast the first vote. I've cooked over many campfires. I even taght a class on camp cooking fro REI, a large outdoor equipment retailer.

I love it! First of all, everything tastes better when you are out in the woods, camping. Second, the thin blue smoke comming off of red hot coals in a campfire add amazing flavor.

I've cooked lots of steaks, sometimes right on the hot coals (caveman steaks). I've also done foil packs, fish, veggies, omelets -- anything you can cook on a stove. I've also done a little dutch oven cooking with the coals from a campfire.

Obviously, what I cooked while backpack camping in the wilderness is different from what I cooked when car camping, or camping in my teardrop camper. A dutch oven will really slow you down when backpacking. :D

CD

Have done it many times and still do it with the kids and Grankids.. one of our favorites are banana boats. Banana with skin on, cut a pocket in the middle of the banana leave the flap of skin and add marshmallows and pieces of chocolate bar to pocket. Drop the flap of skin to cover the pocket, wrap entire banana in aluminum foil and toss into the coals/fire for a few minutes .. remove open foil packet and indulge. Yummy !!

Camping is very polarizing. Seems you either love it, or hate it. I happen to be one of those people who love it, although I don't do much camping these days. Cooking over a fire is one of the things I love about camping. Once you know how to do it, it is pretty easy.

That's where so many people go wrong. They decide to go camping, but some stuff, and head off to a campground. Things go off track, they don't know how to deal with it, and end up hating the experience. I highly recommend that anyone thinking about a first camping trip go on that trip with a VERY experienced camper. We can show you what to do, and what NOT to do. We know what to do if the weather turns bad -- like how to stay dry. We know how to build campfire, manage it, cook on it, and even keep it burning if a rainstorm blows through.

CD

I've been camping several times, but I'm generally not a fan of the outside - I like my A/C too much, and I don't like sleeping on the ground.

My brothers and I used to have a yearly fishing "tournament," complete with wacky prizes and goofing around, but they died out after several years as people moved farther away and other life changes. Now we're all too old! :laugh:

Now the memories are coming back...

The summer after we moved back here, we hosted a cookout with the option of camping overnight in the backyard around the in-ground fire pit, and several people chose to stay and pitch tents.

I remember sitting around with everyone, and visiting, drinking beer, roasting marshmallows, the usual stuff, and as people turned in one by one, I gave the fire a good stoking, made sure everyone was tucked in and zipped up (that sounds a bit risqué, now that I read that back...:laugh:), surveyed the half-dozen tents spread across my yard, nodded to myself at a job well done...and went inside to my 68F bedroom and climbed into my queen-sized bed and went to sleep. :wink:

I've been camping several times, but I'm generally not a fan of the outside - I like my A/C too much, and I don't like sleeping on the ground.

My brothers and I used to have a yearly fishing "tournament," complete with wacky prizes and goofing around, but they died out after several years as people moved farther away and other life changes. Now we're all too old! :laugh:

When I reached 50, I started teardrop camping, mainly to get off the ground. Both of my teardrop campers had air conditioning. State parks down here all have electric hookups. For winter camping in the teardrop, I didn't need heat until I got out of bed in the morning. I was toasty warm in my sleeping bag.

But, we always had campfires. I would cook at least one meal right on the campfire coals.

CD

Thinking even more...all my brothers have some kind of camper situation, like a pop-up or a bigger pull-behind (but smaller than a fifth-wheel). One has a 1980's conversion van that he sleeps in. I'm the odd one out again, it seems.

I've camped at a few outdoor music festivals as well. That was the worst, just because the noise went on 24/7.

Not sure why the algorithm recommended this to me, but I saw this guy on YouTube the other day which I thought was quite fun. I watched a few of his videos and I always like the bit when he gets to do his cooking:

My first tent I bought was the biggest you could buy here for a family. First time we went camping our tent was about 1 of 6 others. I took it back to the shop I bought it off and got them to add a large room on your front and a verandah. We always had the biggest tent then. We used to go to quinneys bush..farmer would tow kids around behind tractor, flipping kids off.
Totally before health n safety.
My kids go camping now, our son just bought a 35k caravan.

Russ

Probably twice when I was a kid.

I barbecue at home occasionally but it's a small affair.

Back
Top Bottom