Cooking over an open fire/campfire (Poll)

Have you ever cooked over an open fire, such as a campfire?

• No, I've never done such a thing

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I've done it once or twice, but it's not a regular thing

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I've done it many times

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
When in college, we would have fishing/camping trips to Hutchinson Island. The fishing consisted of a mostly drunken surfer paddling out a large hunk of pretty rotten meat, with a chain and long rope attached. Oh yeah, it had a rather large shark hook attached to the chain and imbedded in the "bait". Let it drop into the water, paddle back and drink, err wait. When line is tight, all drunks on deck! Pulling in a thousand pound tiger shark is such good exercise! :okay: Catch, release and pass out. Ah, the St. Lucy inlet! We did some cooking and eating somewhere during the fishing, err drinking. Not sure how much was kept down.

Last edited:
Every single time my cousins and I wanted to build a fire and make s'mores outside, my mother had to tell the story of when she and daddy were in Hawaii (naval base) in the early 1950s and a group of them and their friends decided to roast hot dogs on the beach. One of the guys ended up getting really sick and dying. Turns out he chose his stick from an oleander bush. Didn't matter that the closest oleander bush was 500+ miles away from us at the time in Kentucky, the story still had to be told.

In retrospect, I think she just didn't want to have to be bothered with the fire and getting the stuff together to take outside, even though there were aunts and uncles to help.

Last edited:
1st there is no greater joy for me than sitting around a campfire poking at it with a stick. with family and friends of course.

i recently went camping in Oklahoma. we caught lots of fish. striped Bass. We cooked the fish "jungle style". that means no scaling, no gutting. We ate the fish whole, avoiding the guts and weird bits. We ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves, and stuffed with various Asian Herbs. so delicious. it was my first time doing it this way, and i was blown away by the flavors.

1st there is no greater joy for me than sitting around a campfire poking at it with a stick. with family and friends of course.

i recently went camping in Oklahoma. we caught lots of fish. striped Bass. We cooked the fish "jungle style". that means no scaling, no gutting. We ate the fish whole, avoiding the guts and weird bits. We ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves, and stuffed with various Asian Herbs. so delicious. it was my first time doing it this way, and i was blown away by the flavors.

View attachment 86034

View attachment 86035
Not even gutted?

I do a few times a season...I cheat at home in the back yard..We're not allowed larger, open fire pits in town so I have an old barrel smoker that I build a fire in and keep adding small pieces of wood until I get a nice bed of coals going. If anybody ever complained, which nobody ever has, I could just say I was starting my charcoal grill.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I found this pic. While on a hunting trip a friend took a bear. I was deer hunting. 10 days and many miles in the Sierra wilderness. We pretty much ate the entire bear. We would slow cook it in foil we packed in.

just nestled the bear into the embers.

This is about my limit of barbecuing over an open charcoal fire these days. Jamie Oliver's blackened pork loin. This was some time ago, The "barbecue" rarely gets used these days.

This is about my limit of barbecuing over an open charcoal fire these days. Jamie Oliver's blackened pork loin. This was some time ago, The "barbecue" rarely gets used these days.

i tired to buy that ceramic wok burner thing. first one i ordered was broken. i gave up shortly afterwards. SO COOL!!! i'll find one some day.

i tired to buy that ceramic wok burner thing. first one i ordered was broken. i gave up shortly afterwards. SO COOL!!! i'll find one some day.

Difficult to believe but if you order a carry oot "Vietnamese" barbecue here the restaurant deliver the food on a motorcycle. The burner is on a tray on the back and it's lit and ready to go.

The burner, once cool is left outside the gate and is picked up later or next day.

Difficult to believe but if you order a carry oot "Vietnamese" barbecue here the restaurant deliver the food on a motorcycle. The burner is on a tray on the back and it's lit and ready to go.

The burner, once cool is left outside the gate and is picked up later or next day.
Now that’s just cool!

Fantastic!

It could catch on!

Back
Top Bottom