Cooking rice...

batgirl

Veteran
Local time
7:25 PM
I have never been very good at cooking rice from scratch, even when i followed some of the tips and tricks recommended by cooks. So I tend to just buy microwave rice these days - it is quick and easy and turns out well, but it is more expensive.

I used to use the boil in the bag rice which usually turned out well too. Do you cook rice and what methods/products do you prefer to use? Any tips for cooking rice from scratch still very welcome :)

You should not use too much water or too little and heat should not be too high once the water has boiled.

I keep checking on the rice to make sure it does not boil dry before the grains of ricehave absorbed enough water to make them soft. I add a little more water if necessary.

I take the pan off the heat just before all the water has been absorbed and leave it with the lid on. The rice keeps on absorbing steam inside the pan and there should be no extra water to drain off.

I used to have a hard time cooking rice as well, but the key is to watch it all of the time while it is cooking to make sure that it does not get overcooked. It is basically 1 part rice to 2 parts water. Let the water boil and then add the rice. Once the rice starts cooking, lower the heat, or turn it off, and cover the pot. The rice will usually turn out perfect after about 20 minutes of cooking. Bagged rice is much less expensive than the instant kind you put in the microwave.

Your best bet is traditional raw rice not the kind that is para cooked or enriched. I use a Japanese brand called Camilla although if that is not available I will use the Nikkon brand very easy to make perfect every time. To cook enough for four- 2 cups rice 4 cups water 2 tbs butter. put in heavy pan and heat to rolling boil, stir ,[ I add sunflower seeds then because I like them and don't eat enough meat] cover pot tightly and lower heat, very low, let simmer about 20 min, last 5 minutes you can shut the flame off. I always stir maybe one more time. If you leave the flame to high it will burn the rice to the bottom and that's a mess. You can add just about anything when it is at the roling boil, thinks like chopped vegetable, seeds, bouillon cubes, spices. i am pretty simple, usually just seeds for me.

I've always had challenges with cooking rice from scratch. It seems to be rather particular, depending on where you live (climate, altitude) as well as the type of stove top you are cooking it on, and the type of pan you are cooking it in. At the very least, you should have a pan with a decent thickness for the base - nothing too thin - to distribute the heat evenly. The lid should also fit snug to trap in the moisture. I've also had much more luck cooking on a gas stove top where I can actually see the amount of heat hitting the pan, vs. an electric stove top, which is harder to gauge.

The basic technique is add the rice and water to a pot and bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer and cover and let it cook to the specified time on the package. Often times, the directions will also say to let the rice rest, covered, off the heat after the cooking time, for an additional 10 minutes, before removing the lid and fluffing the rice with a fork.

You may need to do a few test batches to determine the correct amount of cooking time and liquid for where you live, and the type of stove you are cooking on.

For an easier time cooking rice, simply invest in an electric food steamer (my personal favorite, since it's multi functional and costs less than any decent rice cooker), or an actual rice cooker - but don't bother with the real cheap ones, they're just as tricky as cooking on a stove.

Another method you may want to try, is baking the rice in your oven. Again, the cooking times, and liquid amounts are trial and error. In my gas oven, I would use equal parts rice and water (usually a cup or two) in an 8" glass baking dish that came with a glass lid which fit snuggly (otherwise wrap it tightly in foil), then bake it in a non-preheated oven at 350 for about 35 minutes. The indirect heat will prevent scorching every time.

Cooking rice is easy. All you need is a rice cooker. Put the desired amount of rice. Rinse it with water then add an equal amount of water. Use the same rice cup for water as well and then cook it.

There are also traditional way of cooking rice. You can used charcoal to start the fire for cooking rice. It tastes better than the one cooked in rice cooker. You can add pandanus leaves to add an aromatic smell to your rice. It is a widely common practise in Southeast Asia. Somd even cooked rice inside a bamboo.

Cooking rice?....Maybe it is in the kind or type of rice you are cooking. Some rice needs more water while others needs exact amount of water same with the cup you are using when you are measuring the rice before cooking. Based on my own experienced before I had many trials and error when it comes to this until I had perfect it. If the first time that you cooked rice and it is not good, the second time around you know it already and will come up with a better texture of cooked rice.

Do any of you have one of those Zojirushi rice cookers? I had some cheap electric rice cookers in the past, but returned them since I really wasn't impressed with how they cooked at all - they were basically just like glorified hot pots with a removable basket. But these Zojirushi models claim to do a lot more to the rice, from the platinum specks in the non stick coating which are supposed to alkalilze the rice, to the infrared heat which supposedly changes the starches in the rice to make them softer. I'm tempted to get one, but considering the cost and the amount of counter space they take up, I'm apprehensive if it will be worth the investment. Especially since I already have an electric food steamer which makes rice very well.

Back
Top Bottom