Cooking with gas

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:09 AM
Other than the halogen oven, the air fryer and the rice cooker our fuel for cooking (hob and oven) is bottled gas (LGP propane). Last year for the first time I recorded the date that I changed the bottle (2nd June). That bottle ran out today. The current price for a 15 kg bottle is ฿400.00 delivered (I believe - I'll find out tomorrow). That's ฿40.00/month (about £0.90).

A good deal I think.

Or is it?

Sounds cheap to me. Gas prices in the UK (and elsewhere) are sky rocketing. I dread to think what my next bill will look like. Presumably this may affect the propane you are using eventually - but I don't know.

You probably don't use the hob as much as some people because of the other devices you are using.

Sounds cheap to me. Gas prices in the UK (and elsewhere) are sky rocketing. I dread to think what my next bill will look like. Presumably this may affect the propane you are using eventually - but I don't know.

You probably don't use the hob as much as some people because of the other devices you are using.

Actually we use the hob quite a lot. My wife cooks all her food and the meat for the dogs on the hob and I cook probably 60% of my food on the hob.

Don't forget, we don't use gas for heating - we don't have any heating!

It sparks my interest to start another thread about cooking with electricity!! Thanks!!:whistling:

My Stove/hob/oven used what is called here in the US Natural Gas, that is piped into the house. This also fuels the water heater and the furnace to heat the house.
I use a gas grill/BBQ that uses bottled Propane and in fact we just took that 20lb tank to be filled, it's at $2.50/gallon right now, that came to $14.xxUSD. The last time I had it filled the cost was $1.60/gallon that was, oh I think the beginning of last Summer.

My Stove/hob/oven used what is called here in the US Natural Gas, that is piped into the house. This also fuels the water heater and the furnace to heat the house.
I use a gas grill/BBQ that uses bottled Propane and in fact we just took that 20lb tank to be filled, it's at $2.50/gallon right now, that came to $14.xxUSD. The last time I had it filled the cost was $1.60/gallon that was, oh I think the beginning of last Summer.

Natural Gas is methane, which comes out of the ground as natural gas. It is not liquified for home use. Propane is a liquified petroleum gas. It comes out of the ground with crude oil. It is liquified to go into cylinders for storage and transport. It is separated in a refinery.

Propane can generate more heat than natural gas (BTUs). Methane is a little safer, as it dissipates better in the air, and is lighter than air. Propane is heavier than air, so it can pool up in a basement or near the floor in a kitchen.

Butane is another liquified petroleum gas (LPG).

CD

Last edited:
A 45kg bottle of LPG is around AUD $115 at the moment. But they also hit you with a rental charge for the large bottle which we found to be quite expensive. Our last place had gas for hot water and cooking (hob & stove) and we'd typically get through $75 a quarter including the rental charge.

A portable 8½kg bottle of gas (swap & go) is around the AUD $29. (This is BBQ or caravan gas).

A 45kg bottle of LPG is around AUD $115 at the moment. But they also hit you with a rental charge for the large bottle which we found to be quite expensive. Our last place had gas for hot water and cooking (hob & stove) and we'd typically get through $75 a quarter including the rental charge.

A portable 8½kg bottle of gas (swap & go) is around the AUD $29. (This is BBQ or caravan gas).

Swap and go is the most expensive way to buy it, and the bottles are generally not full to capacity. But, it is very convenient. You can swap bottles at any convenience store around here.

Three of my grills are charcoal, with one propane grill for quick cooks. I always have an extra bottle on hand for when one runs out in the middle of a cook, as they like to do.

CD

Natural Gas is methane, which comes out of the ground as natural gas. It is not liquified for home use. Propane is a liquified petroleum gas. It comes out of the ground with crude oil. It is liquified to go into cylinders for storage and transport. It is separated in a refinery.

Propane can generate more heat than natural gas (BTUs). Methane is a little safer, as it dissipates better in the air, and is lighter than air. Propane is heavier than air, so it can pool up in a basement or near the floor in a kitchen.

Butane is another liquified petroleum gas (LPG).

CD

Our mom had a gas stove, but I think the water heater was electric. She had a propane tank at the back of the house. It was refilled about every month or so, depending on how much propane was used. There is no gas line underground when you live in the country in the South, so the use of a propane tank is the next best thing. :whistling:

Swap and go is the most expensive way to buy it, and the bottles are generally not full to capacity. But, it is very convenient. You can swap bottles at any convenience store around here.

Three of my grills are charcoal, with one propane grill for quick cooks. I always have an extra bottle on hand for when one runs out in the middle of a cook, as they like to do.

CD
Swap and Go is a massive thing in Australia. The bottles are everywhere (DIY stores, just about every petrol station can swap them our refill them for you and supermarkets for example). You never need to actually buy a bottle, you can pick them up free from either the tip or from sites such as www.freecycle.org . The gas BBQ and the camping stove, camping gas lamp and a huge amount of other stuff all came from there free. All in excellent to brand new condition.

I don't usually get through more than a bottle a year so $29 AUD or the UK equivalent of £15, I'm not going to worry about. Gas is very common and much more readily used than camp fires for obvious bush fire risks. But a lot of places also feature free electric BBQs as well. It's the Aussie way of dealing with bush fire risk and people wanting to BBQ at picnic sites.

I live right down the road from the area’s main propane supplier. I can get a 20lb tank filled on Tuesdays for $10 (Ten Buck Tuesday). I think it’s closer to $15 the rest of the week.

We are starting to think about alternatives, maybe a slow cooker. I have had a quick look at the BBC Good food site and they have a few recommendations and advice. We don't use much just the 2 of us but in Autumn/Winter we like our stews which take a lot of gas so we definitely need to have a rethink.

We are starting to think about alternatives, maybe a slow cooker. I have had a quick look at the BBC Good food site and they have a few recommendations and advice. We don't use much just the 2 of us but in Autumn/Winter we like our stews which take a lot of gas so we definitely need to have a rethink.

How about a single burner induction hob. Induction is very efficient, and can do a slow simmer.

CD

I use propane to fuel my "jet cookers". These cookers are used for crawfish boils and steaming blue crabs Maryland style. They produce enough BTUs to achieve "Wok Hei".

Back
Top Bottom