Cooking with two different types of grain

Local time
10:43 PM
There are a few times when I have cooked brown rice and white rice together in one pot. This was when I found that I had run out of the brown rice and had to make up the amount of rice with a little white rice that I had in the cupboard. It turned out okay and did not give me any problems to cook, even though white rice tends to cook a lot faster than the brown one. I was a bit hesitant at first to add the 2 together, but decided I would give it a try. The time it took me to cook the rice was the same as if I was cooking only the brown rice. It tasted okay in the end too with the flavour of the brown rice overpowering the white one, since brown rice is more tasty too.

Have you ever tried cooking 2 types of rice in one pot? If so, what was your experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
We often do this both with rice and with pasta. The trick is to add the longer cooking one to the water first and then add in the shorter cooking one later, so it does not over cook.

For example: of one take 25 mins and the other 10 minutes, cook the 25 minute one for 12-15 minutes, turn up the heat and add the other one, and cook for another 10 minutes. You need to take into account that there will need to be plenty of water in the pot, and that by adding something cold part way through cooking the temperature in the pot will drop and you may lose the boil/simmer (hence turning up the heat) but it is much better than overcooking white rice by 15 minutes!

I've never actually tried cooking both grains in the one pot before. I've cooked plenty of recipes that called for two or more types of grains but had never thought to combine them all in the one pot.

I always worried about cooking times and consistencies, thinking that one would be too overcooked or undercooked depending on what I was making. Perhaps I need to bite the bullet and just give it a try.

I've never actually tried cooking both grains in the one pot before. I've cooked plenty of recipes that called for two or more types of grains but had never thought to combine them all in the one pot.

I always worried about cooking times and consistencies, thinking that one would be too overcooked or undercooked depending on what I was making. Perhaps I need to bite the bullet and just give it a try.
My approach has always been to save energy.... plus I spend my life (or spent my life before my back went) cooking on a single ring in a field or up a mountain somewhere so I got used to combining things all into 1 pot!

There are a few times when I have cooked brown rice and white rice together in one pot. This was when I found that I had run out of the brown rice and had to make up the amount of rice with a little white rice that I had in the cupboard. It turned out okay and did not give me any problems to cook, even though white rice tends to cook a lot faster than the brown one. I was a bit hesitant at first to add the 2 together, but decided I would give it a try. The time it took me to cook the rice was the same as if I was cooking only the brown rice. It tasted okay in the end too with the flavour of the brown rice overpowering the white one, since brown rice is more tasty too.

Have you ever tried cooking 2 types of rice in one pot? If so, what was your experience?

I've only done it the same way you have, out of necessity. It didn't occur to me to separate them out as @SatNavSaysStraightOn mentioned, probably because I am usually rushing, due to limited energy, but my mixture was short and long grain rice, so it might not have made a difference, or at least I didn't notice at the time, if it did.

Now that I know how to do it, I might start doing this more often, since I'm always happy to have less pots and pans to clean, and only use 2 burners on my stove, since it's smack dab up against a wall, and I don't trust cooking on that side of the stove.

Sometime in the 1970s, our country experienced a shortage of rice. The local community handled the ration where you can buy a kilo of rice with a kilo of corn. In other words, it is a buy rice, buy corn basis. And what are we going to do with the corn? So my mother experimented in cooking rice with corn. That was our staple for some months until the rice shortage had eased and we were again able to buy rice only. Not really a bad idea to cook rice with corn at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom