Cooking without an oven

We have a combination microwave does the lot grills and cooks cakes,plug and play
When we moved into my current house it didn't have either a hob or oven, (the family of the deceased had taken them as they hadn't been left the house in the will). I made do with the camping stuff for a short while, and the we put in a hob, and as a temporary measure we bought a microwave which also worked as a grill or oven. I managed to use that for a year (including cooking a full Christmas Dinner - we borrowed a second microwave to be able to reheat stuff), before working out we could buy a new oven and install it temporarily in the old kitchen.

Whilst the microwave wasn't brilliant, I don't think I could manage without an oven on a long term basis, as I tend to use it quite a bit each week. This week alone, I've used it for: rack of lamb, gooseberry crumble, sterilising glass jars, Fish and chips, beetroot gratin, making bread, and a fish pie.

I have no oven however, I make cookies, cooker cake, pan cake without oven.

Does she have space outdoors to create some kind of "baking" area? There are a number of options from using bricks, converting a barbecue grill, or building a solar oven. I've been wanting to try building a solar oven and this would have been the summer to do it! It's been so incredibly hot with plenty of sun that we've had feels like temperatures in the triple digits almost daily for weeks now.

There are different types of cookware out there that can have variety of effects on your food. Steaming is good for something lithe and frothy like pancakes and vegetables. Grilling is a popular choice for protein, for sweets I recommend a steamer, pressure cooker or even a microwave, just put the batter in a small container like a mug.

Back
Top Bottom