CookingBites Dish of the Month (July): Indian Food

Indian dishes - I LOVE good Indian cooking, and I'm glad for this "challenge". I'll try to create something here once a week, excluding this one which is already packed with events. So, I hope to make three things I've not made before.

One thing I love at an Indian restaurant that is too far away for me to visit on any sort of frequency is their rasam soup. Unfortunately I understand there are a lot of varieties. I'll have to see what I end up with, and I hope it is close to that one at that aforementioned restaurant!

The studies on genetic dairy tolerance / intolerance are of long standing. There were genetic mutations that arouse in a couple of populations around the world that allowed humans related to those populations to better digest dairy / lactose -

That's right. Unfortunately, of late, a lot of people in the Western world who are perfectly tolerant of dairy decide they are not - same with gluten. Its sort of become trendy!

That's right. Unfortunately, of late, a lot of people in the Western world who are perfectly tolerant of dairy decide they are not - same with gluten. Its sort of become trendy!

Quite true, though I see it more with gluten folks. I just basically say, when asked if I want bread with that, no thanks. (I've gotten picky about the quality of bread, which is entirely different than being gluten or wheat intolerant. And I'll admit that.) Or well, I'm just not hungry enough for bread today, thank you, if at a home instead of a restaurant, although in that case I'll generally eat some as a polite guest - just not MORE.

People saying they are gluten-intolerant or celiac when they are not -- is very detrimental to those few folks who really ARE. My sister-in-law's child from her first marriage is celiac, and was not diagnosed until a few years ago - she just wasn't growing. At age 12 she still had a solid cushion on her seat at the dinner table to sit on, so she could be comfortable at a standard sized dining table. She wasn't absorbing food properly in order to grow and thrive. Once they took her off gluten, she gained some height. Since so many people are making it (gluten intolerance or celiac) up - it rebounds badly on those who really ARE.

Would Balti be ok?

Will defo do some recipes for this.

If I'm cooking Balti I've found my pan lids don't seal adequately. It helps to cover the pan initially with tin foil before putting on the lid. I think that suggestion came from Madhur to aid cooking steamed rice.

Aromatic Pilau

DSC_0106.jpg

Karahi Chicken
DSC_0107-1.jpg

Also posted in July What did you eat thread.

Twenty five plus years ago I used to enjoy chicken shashlik in a restaurant close to where I lived in UK. I tried to emulate it here in Thailand about 12 years ago but it was a failure. I don't know why it was a failure but it dissuaded me from trying again until earlier this year when I found a different recipe (which didn't contain vinegar) so I thought "why not". It turned out significantly better. I plan to cook some more this month to post on this thread.

4 s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom