Cookingbites Dish of the Month (March): Kebabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old kebab dishes: (Three of them depicted, but I've made some more of the standard beef and veggie ones, as well as a shrimp and veggie one.) These are actually all authentic dishes from their respective cultures. Although maybe the grape tomatoes might have been my thought.

lamb-served.jpg

Greek Lamb Kofta - made with ground lamb.

hearts-cooked-skewers.jpg
Brazilian Chicken Hearts on Skewers, Churrasco Style.

yakatori-chicken-heart.jpg

Japanese Chicken Heart Yakatori.

I have nothing at all against SPAM. I've even been to the SPAM museum in Minnesota. Best fried rice I've ever had was made with SPAM. I like SPAM (and Treet)!

Haven't had spam for ages (well, except for what shows up in my e-mail box :D ....) but what I remember is that it was good but a bit salty for my taste. I could see using it and cooking with it into something where the salt would be less of an annoyance.

Haven't had spam for ages (well, except for what shows up in my e-mail box :D ....) but what I remember is that it was good but a bit salty for my taste. I could see using it and cooking with it into something where the salt would be less of an annoyance.
That's one thing about growing up with home-cured bacon and ham...my salt tolerance is through the roof. I can eat a spoonful of salt just as easily as some folks can eat a spoonful of sugar.

My old kebab dishes: (Three of them depicted, but I've made some more of the standard beef and veggie ones, as well as a shrimp and veggie one.) These are actually all authentic dishes from their respective cultures. Although maybe the grape tomatoes might have been my thought.

View attachment 38418
Greek Lamb Kofta - made with ground lamb.

View attachment 38419
Brazilian Chicken Hearts on Skewers, Churrasco Style.

View attachment 38420
Japanese Chicken Heart Yakatori.

Love all these and heart kebabs is a new on on me.

You can get a lower sodium SPAM. That's what I buy on the rare occasion that I make something with it. I think it tastes better.

CD

We have a lot of Asians here, some cater for Asian stuff like chicken feet, hearts and livers etc. I buy my livers for pate there.

Russ

We also (obviously) have a lot of Asians here and although chicken's feet are available, hearts and livers don't appear to be very popular, at least looking at the supermarket shelves.

We also (obviously) have a lot of Asians here and although chicken's feet are available, hearts and livers don't appear to be very popular, at least looking at the supermarket shelves.

Countdown supermarket at church corner sell them, or used to up to two years ago, they ran out so I went to Chinese shops ( small village, about 30 shops) across the road. Always go there now.

Russ

I can easily find chicken livers but I have not found chicken hearts available in containers. I only find them with whole chickens. I think timing would be very important for Chicken heart kabobs. They can go from delicate, tender bites to shoe leather in a matter of seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom