CookingBites Dish of the Month (May): Tortilla-based dishes

Some of the vege ingredients for my green sauce. I get some nice char on them before putting them in the blender with the seasoning. The onions, poblanos and garlic get peeled before going in the blender and the poblanos get seeded. Once every thing gets blended and seasoned to taste, the sauce gets "fried" in olive oil until thickened.

36788-albums322-picture7995.jpg

36788-albums322-picture7996.jpg

Some of the vege ingredients for my green sauce. I get some nice char on them before putting them in the blender with the seasoning. The onions, poblanos and garlic get peeled before going in the blender and the poblanos get seeded. Once every thing gets blended and seasoned to taste, the sauce gets "fried" in olive oil until thickened.

View attachment 27800

View attachment 27801

Are those green tomatoes or tomatillos? Impossible to get the latter here!

View attachment 27800

View attachment 27801

That looks like the way I make my hot chilly sauce. The char adds a nice flavour to it. I bet yours is real nice.

Russ

Morning Glory, would it be a bother to ask how you made the tortilla? The entire dish looks scrumptious!

I would say its easy - and it is really. The only problem is that masa flour has no gluten so is apt to break up when you flatten it into a tortilla, You first need to get some blue masa flour. That is not easy in the UK and I had to buy it on-line. Its maybe easier in the USA. Then add just enough water to mix the flour into a soft ball. It should feel like Play Doh.

Form into a ball or balls (I made just enough dough for one tortilla) and place on a sheet of cling film. Place another sheet of clingfilm on top and use a plate to squash the ball as flat as you can. Then use a rolling pin (on top of the clingfilm) to roll it a bit thinner. Peel of the top layer of clingfilm, tidy up any ragged edges and transfer the tortilla to a hot pan with a little oil in it. Cook for a minute or two on each side.

Its probably easier to make wheat flour tortillas which I may do next. If you have a tortilla press its also much easier as it flattens them for you.

I am happy that May is tortilla month.

Has anyone of you ever made homemade Mexican tacos with gorund beef and tortillas (hard shell or soft)? I know there are lots of recipes online but can you please break down your recipe? In particular I have two questions:

1. When the ground beef is cooking, what sauce do I need to add to this?

2. When I am building my taco, what sauce do I add to this?

I am asking this question because there is Taco Sauce as per the below picture and I don't know exactly if I need to put this sauce on the ground beef when it is cooking on the stove or do I need to put that Taco Sauce as a topping when I am building my taco similar to the act of putting ketchup on a hotdog?

Also, if the Taco sauce is applied to the Taco as a topping, do I need to dilute the Taco sauce with water first? How much sauce should I use, alot like ketchup? How much do you use?

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/bf....jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom