CookingBites Dish of the Month (October): Gratin

I didn't think you would - I was just providing an example of the versatility of a gratin dish. I suppose you don't get Thai lobsters?

There was a time when we used to be able to buy crayfish but they were expensive and most likely out of reach of the majority of Thais here in the north east. I was working for a living at the time so could just about manage to purchase one or two.

Fennel - so long since I had that. Perfect in a gratin.

I'm going to experiment with potatoes au gratin tomorrow. I have fennel seeds but should I include them (ground)? Maybe not the first time - could overpower the dish.

My professional training says this is a bake because it has only potatoes and not cheese or sauce on top, a gratin is officially a dish topped with cheese/or sauce and put in the oven. So the difference is the topping according to my book with cooking lessons.
If that were the case, it would eliminate the gratin I submitted - no cheese or sauce (or even breadcrumbs) on top.

Since I've already jokingly suggested that pizza is indeed an open-faced sandwich, I'll use this opportunity to say that pizza is also a gratin, as it's layered and has a cheesy top that can show some browning, if desired. :laugh:

If that were the case, it would eliminate the gratin I submitted - no cheese or sauce (or even breadcrumbs) on top.

Since I've already jokingly suggested that pizza is indeed an open-faced sandwich, I'll use this opportunity to say that pizza is also a gratin, as it's layered and has a cheesy top that can show some browning, if desired. :laugh:

Well I'm not making this up, it really says so in my book. Sorry it's no use copying it as it's written in Dutch.

I think it's quite a grey area. Things like what you posted would be refffered to a potato bake/potato pie here and not a gratin.

Well I'm not making this up, it really says so in my book. Sorry it's no use copying it as it's written in Dutch.

I think it's quite a grey area. Things like what you posted would be refffered to a potato bake/potato pie here and not a gratin.
I'm not doubting one bit that it says that. I think it all comes down to who's doing the defining, and if you read comments on just about any recipe posted online, you'll find that people can't agree on anything. :)

I'll bet I could post a recipe for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and someone else would come along and say, "Well, my gran did it this way," and a third person would then say that was wrong and not authentic, and then everyone would be arguing! It seems to be human nature to say, "My way is the only way" - that's why I jokingly said pizza is a gratin. :)

If you post a scoop of ice cream topped with chocolate nibs and call it a gratin...probably going to get some pushback. If you post a lovely bowl of broth and call it a gratin, it's not going to work, but if you post a dish full of veggies and/or meat or fruit, browned on top by some means, especially in a shallow dish, and call it a gratin, it'll probably get a pass, by enough people anyway. :)

For the record, I think of hotpot as more of a stew/soup dish, but that's just me. :)

I should also confess that when I was looking for a gratin recipe online and found the one I posted, I had to read it about four times, thinking they'd left out the cheese! :laugh:

Yeah - its an indistinct term and has come to mean a bake with cheese on top for many people. It probably has different definitions in different countries. I quoted Larousse because its known as the 'Chef's Bible' based on classical French cuisine and 'gratin' is originally French.

It doesn't really matter - long as it looks & tastes delicious!

Yeah - its an indistinct term and has come to mean a bake with cheese on top for many people. It probably has different definitions in different countries. I quoted Larousse because its known as the 'Chef's Bible' based on classical French cuisine and 'gratin' is originally French.

It doesn't really matter - long as it looks & tastes delicious!

Yes I understand completely, my library still lacks larousse but you reminded me of my birthday present for next year! 😉

I'm mainly suprised that my school does not use the Larousse standard, but I have not had the highest level of cooking class. Just regular joe cooking.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a time when we used to be able to buy crayfish but they were expensive and most likely out of reach of the majority of Thais here in the north east. I was working for a living at the time so could just about manage to purchase one or two.

Crays, here are expensive as well around $50 for an average one, I have about 3 or 4 in the freezer. I do swaps for mine. I cook these for friends.

Russ

Squash and potato. Both home grown

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom