Cookingbites Recipe Challenge: Bacon

Congratulations, @Wyshiepoo! I didn't bother to count, but I believe you've won the contest that had the most entries ever. Spectacular! :bravo:

I was about to comment on what I thought you selected, but now I see that the decision isn't final. I eagerly await your decision!

I'd not heard of umeboshi as a sub for anchovy - I must get some as its ages since I had a jar. I do remember it is quite tangy and salty tasting.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...od-recipes-uses-health-benefits-a8451501.html

I like the idea of tined/canned food - it would be very inclusive as I think almost all members can get tins of food and it could be sweet or savoury, vegan or vegetarian etc.

Grapes are a good idea too.

You decide @Wyshiepoo!

Well could I go with grapes please? Not any sort of dried, or juice, or wine @Yorky just grapes. They don't have to stay whole, they can be pureed, diced whatever. I think that might be better for the recipe challenge, they are inclusive and easy to get. Plus I think the ready meals/tinned meals may have got a little unwieldy in practice.

Could we also have a feature/comp/challenge, whatever you call it, set up (unless there is one already) to highlight shop bought products and what 'we' do to make them interesting and different? Somewhat similar to my original idea. I think @TodayInTheKitchen has had some experience with this sort of thing.

Congratulations, @Wyshiepoo! I didn't bother to count, but I believe you've won the contest that had the most entries ever. Spectacular! :bravo:

I was about to comment on what I thought you selected, but now I see that the decision isn't final. I eagerly await your decision!

:eek: Now I'm hoping I made the right decision! :unsure:

Could we also have a feature/comp/challenge, whatever you call it, set up (unless there is one already) to highlight shop bought products and what 'we' do to make them interesting and different? Somewhat similar to my original idea. I think @TodayInTheKitchen has had some experience with this sort of thing.

@Wyshiepoo ... @morning glory and @SatNavSaysStraightOn created the Recipe of the Month feature just for ideas like yours. The first feature item was "frittatas" and the second was "burgers". Both features were very popular. I think your idea would also be popular. In short, how do you make unhealthy, over-processed meals taste good. Very cool idea.

@Wyshiepoo ... @morning glory and @SatNavSaysStraightOn created the Recipe of the Month feature just for ideas like yours. The first feature item was "frittatas" and the second was "burgers". Both features were very popular. I think your idea would also be popular. In short, how do you make unhealthy, over-processed meals taste good. Very cool idea.

Its Dish of the Month not recipe of the month, btw! :) I don't think that 'ready meals' and how to 'improve' them would fit that brief. The idea of the Dish of the Month is to choose a popular dish which is accessible to all - so generic dishes such as frittata, burgers, fritters, pies etc. The ready meal idea is an interesting one but rather different. It could be a good thread though, I think as @Wyshiepoo suggests.

Congratulations on the win .

I think grapes are an excellent idea. My grape wine has several bunches almost completely ripe and I also have just purchased some verjuice as well. I bought way more than I need for my recipe so it will give me chance to experiment .

Just to clarify, this competition is for a single, named ingredient. A tin of something would be too unspecific, it would need to be a single named ingredient like a tin of kidney beans or diced tomatoes. A tin of spaghetti or baked beans would fall outside of the original remit but might be considered as an option if everyone could get hold of them. However, a tin of spaghetti with sausages in would be pushing it too far though.

Back
Top Bottom