1-1/2 cups raw potato, diced
2 or 3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
One boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked
Salt and pepper to taste
2 TBsp flour
Milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 425F.

Line a casserole or deep pie pan with bottom pastry. Combine corn, potatoes, chicken, and eggs, and pour into pastry-lined dish. Add salt and pepper, sprinkle over the flour, and add enough milk to cover the filling.

Cover with top pastry. Pinch edges to seal, and cut vents in the top.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until crust is browned and milk is bubbly throughout.

Recipe courtesy of "The Best Of Amish Cooking," by Phyllis Good.

NOTE: I added about 1-1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme.

As you can see, this didn't thicken in the oven. I probably needed more flour. Next time, I'll make the sauce before filling the pie.

The taste is spot-on, though: pure church supper comfort food.

I love potatoes in a pie. I'd never thought of adding them raw as I would be worried they wouldn't cook through.

You won't mind me saying its a very 'plain' recipe. But I think maybe most Amish recipes are? I like the fact that it includes hard-boiled eggs (though I can't spot them in the photo).

I love potatoes in a pie. I'd never thought of adding them raw as I would be worried they wouldn't cook through.

You won't mind me saying its a very 'plain' recipe. But I think maybe most Amish recipes are? I like the fact that it includes hard-boiled eggs (though I can't spot them in the photo).
Yep, I think a hallmark of Amish cooking is that it's not complex in flavor. Notice I added thyme; other than that, it would have been salt and pepper, and that's it. There's nothing wrong with that; fried chicken, pork roast, that sort of thing, but I personally think they really shine with their desserts. The Amish are widely acknowledged in the US as the masters of cakes, doughnuts, and sweet pies. My two favorite pies are Amish specialties; raisin pie and oatmeal pie. They're especially known for two of their handheld treats; whoopie pies (which is a cake) and fried pies.

The egg is in there - the yolk cooks down, I'm sure, but the white stays intact. Can't say I noticed it, really. The potatoes were cooked through perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom