1 tablespoon Worcester sauce (optional)
1 large carrot, cut into small pieces
1-2 tablespoons tomato puree
50g frozen peas
1 beef stock cube
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
500g potatoes
2-3 tablespoons skimmed milk
1 tablespoon vegetable spread (such as olive or sunflower)
pepper to season

Method
  • Preheat oven to 200C or gas mark 6.
For the filling
  • Warm the oil in a large sauce or frying pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes without colouring.
  • Add the minced beef, and continue to cook until browned
  • Add the stock cube, canned tomatoes, tomato puree, Worchester sauce and carrot pieces
  • Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce should thicken nicely.
  • Add frozen peas and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, season with pepper
For the topping
  • Peel the potatoes and cut into egg sized pieces. Boil for about 20 minutes or until tender
  • Drain the potatoes, add the vegetable spread and milk and mash until smooth and creamy
Making the pie
  • Put the meat filling into a casserole or baking dish, and top with the mashed potato
  • Bake for 45 minutes (30 minutes from hot), until golden brown on top
  • Serve on its own or with seasonal vegetables
Recipe tip:
Try adding canned beans to the meat mixture instead of peas, adding chopped mushrooms or for a smoother sauce puree the chopped tomatoes before adding to the pan.

Per 100g

Low fat, saturates, sugar, medium salt

Per serving
Energy: 325 Kcals/ 1364 Kjoules Fat: 12.3g Saturates: 3.3g Sugars: 13.8g Salt: 2.2g

http://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet/tasty-recipes/main-course-meat/cottage-pie

This is a basic Cottage Pie recipe which uses lean minced/ground beef (don't we usually?). You could do a much lower cholesterol recipe using brown lentils instead of beef!

This looks like something we call Shepherd's Pie. Maybe the shepherd stopped by a cottage and decided to rename the dish. I must research it.

This looks like something we call Shepherd's Pie. Maybe the shepherd stopped by a cottage and decided to rename the dish. I must research it.
Saving the picture, it was called Shepherds Pie. Went with the title though.

Quite right, but Shepherd's Pie (the clue's in the name) uses lamb or mutton whereas Cottage Pie uses beef. I suppose it ought to be called Cowherd's Pie!

It looks good. I have made Shepherds pie before, which suppose is technically a cottage pie..because I am always using hamburger or ground turkey. It seems to be a great way to use leftovers and it always turns out great. I am all for finding nifty ways to use leftovers that turn out to be delicious. It is just one of the many things to do to save money, and enjoy great taste!

It looks good. I have made Shepherds pie before, which suppose is technically a cottage pie..because I am always using hamburger or ground turkey. It seems to be a great way to use leftovers and it always turns out great. I am all for finding nifty ways to use leftovers that turn out to be delicious. It is just one of the many things to do to save money, and enjoy great taste!
Nice touch. I would never have thought of using the hamburgers or ground turkey. I am starting to think I am not as creative as I thought. Still I am working on not throwing leftovers out as in the past.

I always use beef or pork in my Sherperd's Pie and it looks very similar to the cottage pie above.
I guess I really wasn't making Sherperd's Pie afterall. Something else I learned here! Cool!

To clarify, shepherd's pie is made with lamb or mutton because they had access to sheep and lambs... Cottage pie is beef because cottagers (people who lived in cottages or small holdings) traditionally had a couple of cows for milk and beef.... Hence the distinction.

I've never had Shepherd's pie (shame, I know) but I make cottage pie all the time even though we call it shepherd's pie. Mine is super basic but really good. I cook lean ground beef with a little onion while my potatoes are boiling. Once everything is cooked I assemble! Ground beef at the bottom, then I add creamed corn on top of that and then the potatoes. For the potatoes I mash them with a little butter and milk, but then I add some onions flakes and powdered chicken soup mix for a little flavor. Like I said, really basic but very good. Sometimes you don't have to complicate a dish for it to be delicious. This looks like a good recipe though, certainly different from mine but no less tasty I'm sure!

I've never had Shepherd's pie (shame, I know) but I make cottage pie all the time even though we call it shepherd's pie. Mine is super basic but really good. I cook lean ground beef with a little onion while my potatoes are boiling. Once everything is cooked I assemble! Ground beef at the bottom, then I add creamed corn on top of that and then the potatoes. For the potatoes I mash them with a little butter and milk, but then I add some onions flakes and powdered chicken soup mix for a little flavor. Like I said, really basic but very good. Sometimes you don't have to complicate a dish for it to be delicious. This looks like a good recipe though, certainly different from mine but no less tasty I'm sure!
Adding the creamed corn is very unusual to me. I'm not a great fan of corn (too sweet for me). Is incorporating the corn a common thing in Canada? Perhaps you should enter this recipe for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge as the current chosen ingredient is ground beef! Check on the link. Its great fun...

Honestly @morning glory, I'm not sure if it the creamed corn is common in Canada. I know it is in my family and several others but I do have a friend who doesn't use it. I like the combination of sweet and savory and this version has been one of my favorite dishes since I was a young girl. I've only recently started adding the onion flakes and chicken soup mix to the potatoes and I must say it adds to it. I didn't know there was a challenge, I just might have to add it. If anything maybe someone will make it and it will become one of their favorites.

Back
Top Bottom