Countries represented on CookingBites

Mate,we are both down in the dumps at present. Our beloved niece in the UK who is medical manager of a large care home has been going through hell 6 days a week , 16 hours a day at work. Because of staff shortages and as a skilled nurse, she took over the job of helping the dying to do so with dignity and love. Debs and her husband John (a great young man) have contracted covid 10 days ago. John is on a ventilator, Debs refused to go to hospital because she did not want to leave her young children alone. Like my friend Dil who caught it last year, face timing her is very distressing because like Dil she cannot comfortably speak.
Sorry to read about that - I have noticed you've not been your usual self of late. I sincerely hope things get on the mend with your niece and her family post haste.

One of the things I love about this Community is the diversity. There are times when I think we - Yanks - tend to highjack conversations and forget that this really is an international forum. :headshake:

One of the things I love about this Community is the diversity. There are times when I think we - Yanks - tend to highjack conversations and forget that this really is an international forum. :headshake:

I think everyone from all over forgets the forum is international. It seems we Mercans ask "what's that?" as often as anyone else. That's a good thing, IMO. I know things I didn't know before, like "grill" means something different in Yurrip than it does in Merca.

CD

I have learned so much from this community. The first time I read Aubergine I was clueless and had to ask. The same with dippy eggs, courgettes, gammon, marmite, so many other things. I have learned to weigh rather than measure when baking. I frequently use gram weights rather than ounces - more accurate. One thing that I find universal is twisted humor. I frequently burst into laughter while reading posts. G wants to know why I am laughing. I read the post. Sometimes he gets, frequently he does not.
I talk about my experiences on this forum to G and to my family.
I am eternally grateful that I stumbled on an international forum. I would find a U.S. forum boring after experiencing the diversity of this community.
You are all amazing people. In addition to being exceptional cooks you are warm, caring, funny, companionate, loving people. You all let strangers into your lives. You share you joy and sorrow. You are not just some anonymous name. You are all very real.
You are all amazing. I am glad that you are in my life. :cheers:

I recall seeing a Noob from Mauritius. But they don't seem to engage in regular chat.

I recall seeing a Noob from Mauritia. But they don't seem to engage in regular chat.

We get quite a lot of new members but lots of them never post at all or post once and disappear. Its the nature of the internet. If you click on 'members' in the green toolbar and scroll down you will see the latest new members on the bottom left of screen. Currently this:

If you click on each one you can see where they are from. Iran. USA, Philippines, Cyprus, S.Africa, Spain, Manila etc. In the above example
only 4 have posted anything and only one posted more than once.

Morning Glory
I am guilty of not replying to new members. Shame on me. I was so warmly welcomed when I joined. I will make an effort to welcome all new members. It is a shame that so few members participate.
Don't beat yourself up about it ElizabethB. Most new members seem to disappear after their first post, regardless of the welcome they get. They will persevere if they are long term stayers.

Back
Top Bottom