Cracking Eggs for a Cake batter.

Shermie

Veteran
Local time
1:11 PM
How do you add your eggs for a Cake batter? Do you crack them on at a time into the batter right from the shell, or do you crack them into a small bowl first & put each one into the batter?

I'm in the middle of making the batter for a 7up Cake. While cracking the eggs for it, I came across a rotten one!! Imagine if I had put that one into the batter!! I'd have to throw it all away & start all over!! It stunk so bad and it was partially black inside!!!! I immediately threw it down the toilet so that the smell would not stink up the kitchen!!! :eek:

Last edited:

CraigC

Veteran
Local time
How do you add your eggs for a Cake batter? Do you crack them on at a time into the batter right from the shell, or do you crack them into a small bowl first & put each one into the batter?

I'm in the middle of making the batter for a 7up Cake. While cracking the eggs for it, I came across a rotten one!! Imagine if I put that one into the batter!! I'd have to throw it all away & start all over!! It stunk so bad and it was partially black!!!! I immediately threw it down the toilet so that the smell would not stink up the kitchen!!! :eek:
I always crack into a bowl, no matter what I'm using them for.

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Local time
I almost always put them in a bowl, mainly in case I get a shell fragment in one. I know the accepted rule is to use a bowl in case of a bad egg, but in about 40 years of cooking, I've never encountered a bad egg.

Shermie

Veteran
Local time
Actually, I've been doing it for years. This does help to keep bad eggs from being used accidentally. Otherwise, whatever you're making would have to be thrown away!!:eek:

Milkduds

Local time
I have the bad habit of cracking them directly into the mixing bowl. I guess I"ve been lucky.

rascal

Guru
Local time
5:11 AM
In a bowl.
A couple of weeks ago I had a surprise - a double yolk in a store bought egg
I have not seen that in a while.
Last free range place I got large eggs, tray for $10. They moved their operation to other side of town, but I do miss those ones. Half were always double yolker. I still get free range but not many doubles now.

Russ

Top Bottom