Cracking Eggs for a Cake batter.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
11:07 AM
How do you add your eggs for a Cake batter? Do you crack them on at a time into the batter right from the shell, or do you crack them into a small bowl first & put each one into the batter?

I'm in the middle of making the batter for a 7up Cake. While cracking the eggs for it, I came across a rotten one!! Imagine if I had put that one into the batter!! I'd have to throw it all away & start all over!! It stunk so bad and it was partially black inside!!!! I immediately threw it down the toilet so that the smell would not stink up the kitchen!!! :eek:

Last edited:
How do you add your eggs for a Cake batter? Do you crack them on at a time into the batter right from the shell, or do you crack them into a small bowl first & put each one into the batter?

I'm in the middle of making the batter for a 7up Cake. While cracking the eggs for it, I came across a rotten one!! Imagine if I put that one into the batter!! I'd have to throw it all away & start all over!! It stunk so bad and it was partially black!!!! I immediately threw it down the toilet so that the smell would not stink up the kitchen!!! :eek:

I always crack into a bowl, no matter what I'm using them for.

I almost always put them in a bowl, mainly in case I get a shell fragment in one. I know the accepted rule is to use a bowl in case of a bad egg, but in about 40 years of cooking, I've never encountered a bad egg.

Actually, I've been doing it for years. This does help to keep bad eggs from being used accidentally. Otherwise, whatever you're making would have to be thrown away!!:eek:

I have the bad habit of cracking them directly into the mixing bowl. I guess I"ve been lucky.

In a bowl.
A couple of weeks ago I had a surprise - a double yolk in a store bought egg
I have not seen that in a while.

Last free range place I got large eggs, tray for $10. They moved their operation to other side of town, but I do miss those ones. Half were always double yolker. I still get free range but not many doubles now.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom