Ingredients / Cranberry-ramsons jam
50 ml (23 g/0.21 cup) fresh/frozen cranberries​
50 ml (42 g/0.21 cup) gelling sugar/jam sugar (with pectin)​
50-60 ml/g (0.21-0.25 cup) water​
A heaped teaspoon of dried ramsons/wild garlic (Allium ursinum)​
Ingredients / Meringue
1 egg white​
1.5 tablespoons icing sugar/confectioners’ sugar​
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´​
A small handful of raspberries and a sprinkle of icing sugar for garnish​

Instructions / Cranberry-ramsons jam

Cook the cranberries, gelling sugar, water and ramsons on a skillet/frying pan on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the cranberries break up. Sieve and take aside.

Instructions / Meringue

Beat the egg white and icing sugar into stiff froth/foam.

Instructions / Baking & drying

Set the oven to 100°C (225 °F, gas mark ¼, no fan).

Add the cranberry-ramsons jam into the meringue mix. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and form four meringues on the paper with a spoon. Cook/dry the meringue for 1.5 hours in the oven. Open the lid/door of the oven halfway and let the meringue dry up for another hour. Garnish with e.g. quartered raspberries and icing sugar (or garnish with savory condiments like candied onion or grated cheese and pepper). Don’t forget to notify the tasters that the dish contains wild garlic: the meringue tastes odd and surprising; not bad but baffling - completely different than ordinary meringue.

karp_4.jpg

karp_5.jpg

karp_6.jpg

karp_7.jpg

Last edited:
I am doing a double take here. Ramsoms in a sweet meringue? Ramsoms are wild garlic. Now, I've never had them dried but I think that would intensify the garlic flavour.

Don’t forget to notify the tasters that the dish contains wild garlic: the meringue tastes odd and surprising; not bad but baffling - completely different than ordinary meringue.

I really need to try this to know how it tastes. This is cooking on the edge of reason. Bravo!

I think I'd opt for the savoury condiments with this, by the way.

I am doing a double take here. Ramsoms in a sweet meringue? Ramsoms are wild garlic. Now, I've never had them dried but I think that would intensify the garlic flavour.

I really need to try this to know how it tastes. This is cooking on the edge of reason. Bravo!

I think I'd opt for the savoury condiments with this, by the way.
:D I had raspberries left from another wild experiment with Alliums - hence the disconcerting/slightly inappropriate garnish. I'll post two further crazy/lunatic recipes tomorrow and the day after that (and then return to "normal" cooking).

:D I had raspberries left from another wild experiment with Alliums - hence the disconcerting/slightly inappropriate garnish. I'll post two further crazy/lunatic recipes tomorrow and the day after that (and then return to "normal" cooking).

That's it Hemulen! I said it earlier. The theme for this Alliums challenge is crazy lunatic recipes to go beyond the norm.

Back
Top Bottom