Retro Recipe Cranberry relish and cranberry jello salad

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:59 PM
CRANBERRY RELISH AND CRANBERRY JELLO SALAD

The relish is pretty good on its own and what I prefer to eat if I have cranberries at all.

CRANBERRY RELISH

1 pound fresh cranberries, washed and picked thru to get rid of bad ones
1 large naval orange, zested and then supremed, with juice
3/4 to 1 cup sugar, or to taste

Pulse the cranberries, orange segments, zest and juice in a food processor until you get the consistency of pickle relish, stir in the sugar and let sit until sugar totally dissolves.

My mother always made several batches of the above and froze, as she LOVED the below salad and wanted to have the relish available all year.

The original recipe called for the entire orange, other than seeds. There was an underlying bitterness that I never liked. When my aunt asked for the recipe after my mother passed, I suggested she zest and supreme it to get rid of the pith as that was most likely the source of the bitterness. Turned out I was right. I also suggested she cut down on the sugar some since the pith was no longer included, but I don't know if she did or not as I forgot to ask, thus, the range for the sugar.

CRANBERRY JELLO SALAD

1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts, your preference
2 small packages cherry jello (not sugarless)
1 small can crushed pineapple in juice, drained (I always got the juice!)
3-1/2 cups water (half of the water boiling)

Dissolve jello in boiling water, add remainder of cool water, let partially gel in fridge, stir in celery, nuts, crushed pineapple and cranberry relish mix. Pour into an 8-cup ring mold or other same size mold. Refrigerate until totally gelled. Unmold by placing mold in hot tap water for about 30 seconds, dry mold slightly, place serving dish over top of mold and flip.

If it doesn't come out, may need to place in hot water a little longer and/or break seal by running a butter knife around the edge.

Last edited:
CRANBERRY RELISH AND CRANBERRY JELLO SALAD

The relish is pretty good on its own and what I prefer to eat if I have cranberries at all.

CRANBERRY RELISH

1 pound fresh cranberries, washed and picked thru to get rid of bad ones
1 large naval orange, zested and supremed, with juice
3/4 to 1 cup sugar, or to taste

Pulse the cranberries, orange segments, zest and juice in a food processor until you get the consistency of pickle relish, stir in the sugar and let sit until sugar totally dissolves.

My mother always made several batches of the above and froze, as she LOVED the below salad and wanted to have the relish available all year.

The original recipe called for the entire orange, other than seeds. There was an underlying bitterness that I never liked. When my aunt asked for the recipe after my mother passed, I suggested she zest and supreme it to get rid of the pith as that was most likely the source of the bitterness. Turned out I was right. I also suggested she cut down on the sugar some since the pith was no longer included, but I don't know if she did or not as I forgot to ask, thus, the range for the sugar.

CRANBERRY JELLO SALAD

1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts, your preference
2 small packages cherry jello (not sugarless)
1 small can crushed pineapple in juice, drained (I always got the juice!)
3-1/2 cups water (half of the water boiling)

Dissolve jello in boiling water, add remainder of cool water, let partially gel in fridge, stir in celery, nuts, crushed pineapple and cranberry relish mix. Pour into an 8-cup ring mold or other same size mold. Refrigerate until totally gelled. Unmold by placing mold in hot tap water for about 30 seconds, dry mold slightly, place serving dish over top of mold and flip.

If it doesn't come out, may need to place in hot water a little longer and/or break seal by running a butter knife around the edge.

I'm making this if I can get cranberries fresh?? I need to go to the shops. Thanks

Russ

I'm fascinated but I don't understand the reference to 'supremed' or to supreme. The relish part is a very bold & simple recipe. No cooking?

No cooking.

Google "how to supreme an orange." Just make sure you zest first. Have to admit, surprised you don't know this. I used to do this for my oldest granddaughter when she was little and visiting us. Ticked off her mother because she wanted them that way from then on.

No cooking.

Google "how to supreme an orange." Just make sure you zest first. Have to admit, surprised you don't know this. I used to do this for my oldest granddaughter when she was little and visiting us. Ticked off her mother because she wanted them that way from then on.
I love that word.... Ticked off!! :)

Russ

No cooking.

My d.i.l might be the same with me,lol. Her kids when they come here get chocolate fingers. Choc covered biscuit about 1/2 inch thick. Kids nibble off ends and suck milk up until it collapses. We baby sat for a week and I noticed in their pantry, a packet of chocolate fingers. I laughed to myself. Same with butter on bread. They love it, copying me with thick coatings. My d.i.l has given up, she coats their bread lavishly as well now,lol. We don't eat marge here!!

Russ

No cooking.

I may be wrong but I suspect its American usage of the word 'suprême' in relation to preparing orange. I've certainly not come across it before in this context in the UK. To suprême a chicken, pigeon etc. I do know, of course. I can't find any UK references if I google it. And if you look at the Google culinary definition the references are from American books.

I do now how to prepare an orange in this way - just not by that name. I call it 'to segment'.

The combination of the relish with a sweet jelly (jello) containing celery, nuts and pineapple is confusing my brain. Its not something that I can relate to, but that may be cultural. When in a meal would you eat this? Is it a dessert course?

The combination of the relish with a sweet jelly (jello) containing celery, nuts and pineapple is confusing my brain. Its not something that I can relate to, but that may be cultural. When in a meal would you eat this? Is it a dessert course?
Where I'm from, that's a very common dish, and definitely has that 1950's dinner party vibe.

I'm not that fond of jello, but it's generally offered (at least in my family and my wife's family) as sort of a catch-all that can work as a starter right up through dessert. Many times, dishes like that are part of a buffet, so you can just eat it when you want.

Anybody else remember that lime green opaque jello salad? Sometimes it would be sweet, and sometimes, it would be savory...but it was always nasty! :laugh:

No, it's part of the main meal. It basically replaces whatever type of cranberry relish or jelly you would normally use. And, it's really not that sweet with the tartness of the fresh cranberries, though I'll admit it's been a very long time since I had it.

Mother found the recipe and started making it in the late '60s or early '70s.

Remember those jello salads well! How about the metal molds they sold in the shape of fish or ornate ring molds? At some point they had a copper finish and would double as decor on kitchen walls...

Sorry, please delete if necessary. Just thought about after my post, I didn't mean to thread jack Medtran's Retro Recipe Jello Salad thread.

Sorry, please delete if necessary. Just thought about after my post, I didn't mean to thread jack Medtran's Retro Recipe Jello Salad thread.

I think its worth making another thread about this - jello salads are not really known outside the US. Please don't worry thread jacking. You are on topic.

I'll copy over your post as a new thread. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom