Recipe Crawfish Pie

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:47 AM
My wonderful Brother shared his recipe with me.
The note and comments are his. I did not change the chronology of his steps.

Courtesy of RonB

Note: The measurements are a rough estimate. I always cook to what looks and taste right and don't strictly measure.

INGREDIENTS
Frozen Pet Ritz deep dish pie crust (two per pack. You need both)
1 1/2 lbs. Fresh Louisiana crawfish tails... Don't use the Chinese cr@p and avoid frozen if you can.
1 medium onion diced
2 ribs celery diced
1 large bell pepper diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 stick of butter
3 TBSP flour
Plain bread crumbs
2 lemons
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
Worcestershire sauce
Louisiana Hot Sauce
A good bunch of fresh oregano leaves removed from stems and chopped fine. The oregano needs to be fresh.
Thyme, either fresh chopped or dried.
Fresh ground black pepper
2 eggs

METHOD

Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Once melted and hot add flour to butter and stir. The butter will froth up quiet a bit but keep stirring over medium heat until the flour just starts to brown to a golden tan color.
Add onions and celery. Stir and let cook until both onions and celery are soft.

While onions and celery are cooking take 1/2 lb. crawfish tails and either pulse them a couple of times in a food processor or mince with a knife.
In a bowl season the minced with a little Tony's, La. hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper. In another bowl season the remaining tails the same. You want all of the tails fairly heavily seasoned because when they cook they will release a lot of water.

Once the onions and celery are cooked down add the bell pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes then add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.. Add minced crawfish tails.

Stir the crawfish in the roux mixture for a couple of minutes. Lower heat to low. Add remaining tails and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes stirring. Add oregano and thyme. Stir well and cook for a minute. Add about a tsp of fresh ground pepper.

Add red wine and cream. Stir to mix thoroughly. After it cooks for a minute add the juice of two lemons. Stir. At this point taste and adjust seasoning. Add Tony's or salt if needed. It should be a little tangy from the wine and you should taste the oregano and the lemon with an underlying sweetness from the cream. If it taste well balanced start adding bread crumbs stirring as you add. Add brad crumbs until the mixture pulls together and gets fairly firm and sticky but not dry. Taste again for seasoning. The addition of the brad crumbs should make the mix taste slightly sweeter than before. If any additional seasoning is needed add it and stir through. Beat one egg well and add to the mixture, stir. Remove from heat.

Blind bake one of the pie crust @ 350 degrees F. Use pie weights or line the shell with parchment paper and use dry beans. Let the other crust thaw.
When crust is blind baked remove from oven and fill with crawfish mixture. Take the raw, thawed crust and work your way around loosening the edge from the pan. Turn it over on a cutting board and press the back of the pan to get the raw crust and drop onto the cutting board. Use a long chef knife and cut the crust into strips 3/8" to 1/2" wide. Lay the strips of crust across the filled pie in a criss cross fashion to form a lattice. If you have excess dough you can shape it into a crawfish or other decoration for the top of your pie.

Beat the remaining egg and brush the entire top of the pie liberally with the beaten egg particularly the edges of the crust.
Bake @ 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.

Ciao Bella,
I would love try this but I no see Crawfish in UK could I make with Langoustines?
Sarana x

Prawns would be a good sub. I'm sure Langoustines would also, but we can't get those live where I live. Even frozen ones are expensive and we'd have to order them online.

Ciao Bella,
I would love try this but I no see Crawfish in UK could I make with Langoustines?
Sarana x
Sarana
I am sure you can. Just what your cooking time. I have never cooked langoustine $$$$. I am very familiar with shrimp. In can over cook and get rubbery in the blink of the eye. I would wait to add the tails to the filling until the very end. As soon as they begin to turn pink put the mix in the pie crust to bake. They will finish cooking in the oven.
I tend to judge a seafood restaurant by their shrimp.

Sarana
I am sure you can. Just what your cooking time. I have never cooked langoustine $$$$. I am very familiar with shrimp. In can over cook and get rubbery in the blink of the eye. I would wait to add the tails to the filling until the very end. As soon as they begin to turn pink put the mix in the pie crust to bake. They will finish cooking in the oven.
I tend to judge a seafood restaurant by their shrimp.
Grazie Bella,
Si is very simple over cook seafood. I have bag wild red king prawn in freezer so think I will try with those.

Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom