Recipe Creamy Confetti Corn with Bacon

Local time
10:56 AM
Corn has never featured prominently in my kitchen and often when I see a popular corn pie on a lunch table I don't even taste it. I have often said it looks like cat food and not the inviting kind. That said I would hardly be able to offer something I often prepare since I am happy with the odd corn on the cob or a roasted corn that is a local treat when corn is in season here. So here goes with sometime I might be willing to try.

confetti-corn2.jpg
SERVES 6-8 AS A SIDE DISH

INGREDIENTS

• 8 slices bacon, chopped
  • 2 12-ounce packages frozen corn kernels, white or yellow
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion, white, yellow or red
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, light or regular, cubed
  • 1-2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 green onions, green parts finely chopped (white parts discarded)

1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the chopped bacon until golden and crisp. Scoop the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate and discard all the bacon grease except for a thin coating on the pan, maybe a teaspoon or so.
  2. Add the corn, onion, and red pepper, and cook over medium heat, stirring every so often, until the vegetables are tender and the corn is heated through, 6-8 minutes. Add the cream cheese and milk, stirring until the cream cheese melts and the mixture is evenly combined.
  3. Stir in the sugar, salt and pepper. Add more salt to taste if needed. Stir in the green onions.
  4. Serve warm topped with the reserved bacon.
  5. This dish can be made up to 2 days ahead of time. Scoop the creamy corn mixture into an oven-safe dish, sprinkle with the bacon and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, heat the corn dish in a 325 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until heated through.

Recipe Source: adapted from MyRecipes by way of Southern Living (I decreased salt, omitted half-and-half and used a splash of milk, omitted green pepper and used sliced green onions, used less onion and frozen corn instead of fresh)

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/creamy-confetti-corn/

Last edited:
OMG this looks delicious! Corn is my favourite vegetable, I would so make this.:hungry: Thank you for this great share :okay: Good luck and hope it turns out great!

Last edited:
OMG this looks delicious! Corn is my favourite vegetable, I would so make this.:hungry: Thank you for this great share :okay: Good luck and hope it turns out great!
It is really 'delicious' to look at. I actually thought it had mayo when I saw it but it's clearly something I would try. I don't know I can say I am a corn lover and when I do have it is mostly roasted, or corn on the cob. In my country several people are big on a corn pie which I have never really tried (maybe once) simply because it looks yucky. This one is down my alley..:chef:

Back
Top Bottom