Recipe Cucumber salad

LoveSantaAu

Veteran
Local time
2:45 AM
Website
www.lovesanta.com.au
I found this recipe a few years ago in a vegetarian cookbook. As everyone I serve it to has loved it, it has become one of my most common salads - and all my kids love it :)

Slice one or two cucumbers
slice about 4 spring onions (to cross country barriers, the long green and white onions!)
chop half a bunch o coriander
mix with the dressing
sprinkle with chopped peanuts (optional but great for vegetarians in particular)

the dressing is made from vinegar, sweet chilli sauce and little lime (or lemon) juice.

If I don't have enough fresh coriander, I put dried or ground coriander in the dressing for flavour instead.

Cucumber is one of my favorite vegetable and as such i make cucumber salads ever so often.
I used diced cucumbers, diced tomatoes, chopped lettuce leaves,mayo and a dash of black pepper.

I found this recipe a few years ago in a vegetarian cookbook. As everyone I serve it to has loved it, it has become one of my most common salads - and all my kids love it :)

Slice one or two cucumbers
slice about 4 spring onions (to cross country barriers, the long green and white onions!)
chop half a bunch o coriander
mix with the dressing
sprinkle with chopped peanuts (optional but great for vegetarians in particular)

the dressing is made from vinegar, sweet chilli sauce and little lime (or lemon) juice.

If I don't have enough fresh coriander, I put dried or ground coriander in the dressing for flavour instead.
I shall definitely try this, because all the ingredients are all things that I like using and eating in the summer months.

I prefer to leave the peel on a cucumber and slice it finely, but I know many people prefer a peeled cucumber. I think dicing the onion and the cucumber would work just as well with this recipe.

I have never tried chopped peanuts with cucumber, but I know that is also part of a thai dish, so they must be good together!

Another recipe I have for cucumber salad is:

thinly sliced cucumber
sour cream
dill
lemon juice
tiny bit of sugar
salt and pepper

Cucumbers are one of my favorites and I will definitely try both of these recipes. In the summer when my tomatoes are ripe, I make a different type of cucumber salad using
tomatoes , thinly sliced
cucumbers thinly sliced
red onions thinly sliced
olive oil
white wine vinegar
salt and pepper

I'm a big fan of the sour cream, sea salt, black pepper and fresh dill thing too with cucumbers - it's super rich but refreshing and tangy at the same time. Not to mention it's so simple to throw together in a minute or two!

The OP's recipe sounds very interesting too, I don't think I've ever tried peanuts and cucumbers paired together, but I've seen that combination a lot in various Thai recipes. I'm fairly certain we have all the ingredients listed above on hand, with the exception of some Cilantro, which I can go pick up later. Does this hold together well if prepared in advance? Or is it something you want to mix together minutes before serving?

The only time I've tried cucumbers with lemon juice, is when I make my orzo pasta salad with cucumbers, feta, and mint, lemon zest and lemon juice (salt and pepper to taste) and I love the combination.

Back
Top Bottom