Cucumber - Skin on, skin off???

So, I prefer my skin on, think it taste nicer and is more healthy. My other half takes the skin off as she is concerned with the pesticides.
I presume washing the salad would remove as much as possible.

Is there much nutritional value in cucumber skin??

Cheers,

Actually, for any kind of natural food there is some nutritional value to the skin. Take even apples for that matter. However, with the pesticide usage we end up peeling the skin off even for the apples before giving it our daughter.

So, considering your health and realities of agriculture today, you might as well peel off the cucumber skin.

So, I prefer my skin on, think it taste nicer and is more healthy. My other half takes the skin off as she is concerned with the pesticides.
I presume washing the salad would remove as much as possible.

Is there much nutritional value in cucumber skin??

Cheers,

Yes -- I leave the skin on as well. I think it adds to the entire nutritional value. Kind of like eggs; when you throw out the yolk, you're losing some protein.

With the skin. Never even thought about taking it off, tastes better with the skin and as with a lot of vegetables the most nutritious part is just below the skin.

I'm generally a skin off type of person. I started peeling them before I started buying organic produce. I hate the wax that's added to the skin.

Skin on. Without it, they are just water!
To be fancy in a salad, you can peel strips of peel off, giving slices with stripy edges.

I use a potato peeler to get this look. It look really great in a cucumber salad.

I leave the skin on the cucumber. One of my favorite recipes is to mix sliced cucumber with onion and toss with vinegar. Here's what I mean . . .

Cool_Cucumber_Salad.ashx.jpg

I prefer skin off even though I know the skin provides a lot of nutrients. I do like the skin on when I am dipping in ranch or something. I also like the skin on if I am making flavored cucumber water. It just enhances the flavor a little more.

Skin off for me. I do not have any issue with the skin, but I prefer skin off. A cucumber, lemon juice and salt is one of my favorite recipes for a snack.

Back
Top Bottom