Curious about Beef Brisket

It says USDA Choice, Boneless, Deckle-off(?) 3/4 trim.
If it's USDA Choice, that's very good indeed. This is 1 step below the best (which is USDA Prime), out of 8 grades.

The deckle is the fat cap and connecting tissue. It sounds like they're trimming it for you. I would want the fat on there, personally, because that contributes a lot to the flavor and moisture. But, if it's only $3/pound, that's a real bargain.

Here is the brisket Matilda is referring to:

Thanks for fixing the link. Looks like everything might be on hold. I went out to get a Brisket and the whole meat section was empty. No brisket, no ground beef, no tenderloins, no steaks, nothing.
Its a 30 min. drive to this store, so my next trip won't be for 2 weeks. I'll keep everyone up to date.

Hi all. Haven't forgotten this POST. After 3 months, Gordons finally had brisket today. Unfortunately, it went to $4.99 lb. Avg size briskets are $60 to $90. Used to be around $40. At the moment, this project is on hold. Not expecting to experiment with $60 to $90 worth of meat. Hopefully it will come back down after the Forth of July.

Meat and poultry is sky high and sometimes in short supply. Several of the large processors have closed or reduced production because of Covid 19. Too many sick people in their plants. The growers have plenty of live stock. the problem is processing.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try this one.

Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket Recipe

I was calling around, checking my local butcher shop on price. I got anywhere from $8.99 to $9.99 per pound. Oh WOW !! So I called a company that deals with restaurants. I can get a 13 Lb. (avg) brisket for $2.99 a pound. I figure I can cut it into 3 pieces and have a lot of practice. Wish me luck.

I want to try this recipe. Looks SO GOOD!!!! :wink:

Hi all. I got lucky! They had a whole shelf full earlier this week. At $2.89/lb. Wow! I got a small 14 lb.Brisket. I tried to cut it in half to fit my slow cooker. Little bit off, but I have a 8 lb. and 6 lb. Piece. I switched recipes and am trying this one first...

Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with Barbecue Sauce (Video!)

I cheated and used a bottle of Memphis BBQ sauce. Wasn't sure about Blackberry BBQ sauce. I gave it 40 minutes in the oven. Planning on at least 12 hrs in the slow cooker. Right now its cooking for the past 3 hrs. Wish me luck.

I'll try the small piece with the original recipe I posted.

Back
Top Bottom