Curry (and Indian cooking) for beginners

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. I am mostly interested in vegetarian recipes, or anything with lamb.

Lamb Madras I made last weekend:

CD638D67-5FAE-4D37-8123-873ACEDC4D13.jpeg

It’s from The Curry Guy Bible book which I got at Christmas. He has a video of it here:

Several years ago my job sent me to an Indian household, I was there for a couple of hours. The lady of the house (she did not speak English) went to the kitchen and half an hour later she came back and placed a home made curry in front of me and gestured for me to eat. That was the best Indian curry I have ever eaten, so much so I have never been to an UK Indian restaurant since, it was so different from what I expected.

Our curries here in nz are very popular. My fave is pepper bridge. I've been cooking curries for 15 years. I think I've perfected butter chicken and tandoori. We have curry nights here for the whole family. Samosas, Dahl, bhajees , tandoori lamb cutlets, butter chicken etc.
I've just made 35 veges samosas and 35 beef samosas for the freezer. I make these twice a year.

Russ

Several years ago my job sent me to an Indian household, I was there for a couple of hours. The lady of the house (she did not speak English) went to the kitchen and half an hour later she came back and placed a home made curry in front of me and gestured for me to eat. That was the best Indian curry I have ever eaten, so much so I have never been to an UK Indian restaurant since, it was so different from what I expected.
My grandparents lived in Mozambique where there was a big indian community at the time. Every family/household has their own curry mix (the combination of spices uses differs greatly between families) and their definition of spicy is different than most people's too 😀 I feel this is a difficult concept for western cooks to grasp, that a dish can have a name but not a standard recipe. It's also what makes it beautiful, every curry is different and unique.

My grandparents lived in Mozambique where there was a big indian community at the time. Every family/household has their own curry mix (the combination of spices uses differs greatly between families) and their definition of spicy is different than most people's too 😀 I feel this is a difficult concept for western cooks to grasp, that a dish can have a name but not a standard recipe. It's also what makes it beautiful, every curry is different and unique.

I have my own Garam masala along with others on here. Amazing smell!!

Russ

Is it near Nana? I think I've been there.

It used to be on the north side of Sukhumvit between sois 11 and 13 but I believe that it has been moved to the south side further west toward soi 4. It's now called New Bukhara.

the usual suspects that I mix with a Sri Lankan mix I have here. Dry roast cumin coriander fennel peppercorns seeds then grind with about another 5 things. Cassia bark etc.

Russ

This is my garam masala (North Indian courtesy of Madhur Jaffrey).

garammasala.jpg

Black peppercorns, cinnamon, nutmeg, black cardamom seeds, black cumin seeds and cloves.

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. I am mostly interested in vegetarian recipes, or anything with lamb.

In my opinion this is an excellent vegetarian dish (but I could be wrong because I'm not vegetarian myself). I've been cooking it for well over 30 years now and never tire of it. However, it's not easy to make and some of the ingredients may be difficult to obtain in your area.

Egg and potato dum

The basic curry that I cook (and have done for 30 odd years) is actually BIR. The initial recipe came from David Smith but I've tweaked it a little over the years.

curry.jpg

Yorky's Curry

In the last 20 years I've made discoveries of other curries for which I can obtain the ingredients and they are pretty easy to cook. A staple for me has become Chicken Kohlapuri over the last few years.

Then there's egg, chips and beans which of course doesn't sound at all Indian but it is the way I prepare it...

eggnchips.jpg

Have fun cooking and eating Indian food.

Back
Top Bottom