Curry (and Indian cooking) for beginners

Sarah BDnO

Local time
10:03 PM
[Mod.Edit: This post has been copied from another thread and the following few replies moved to form a new thread (MG)]

Indian food, or any other type of food that uses a lot of spices. I love it so much, but I just don't have the adequate spice knowledge to cook it well. I'm French and at home with sprinkle our food with a pinch of spice, so I am not used at all to cooking with such large quantities of spices, so my Indian food is always way too bland. Also, there is a whole protocole with spices, they all need to be added at a special time of the recipe, some needs to be fried first, others shouldn't, and if you don't respect it it will not be good, trust me I've tried! But I keep trying because it is very interesting, and I improve a bit, so hopefully in a few decades I'll be able to cook a decent biryani!

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian food, or any other type of food that uses a lot of spices. I love it so much, but I just don't have the adequate spice knowledge to cook it well. I'm French and at home with sprinkle our food with a pinch of spice, so I am not used at all to cooking with such large quantities of spices, so my Indian food is always way too bland. Also, there is a whole protocole with spices, they all need to be added at a special time of the recipe, some needs to be fried first, others shouldn't, and if you don't respect it it will not be good, trust me I've tried! But I keep trying because it is very interesting, and I improve a bit, so hopefully in a few decades I'll be able to cook a decent biryani!

You need to taste as you go. And at first, you might respect what some recipes state as the amounts to add.

Spices have a history that goes back to a time when there was no means to refrigerate perishables. So as food tended to spoil, spices were used to mask the spoiled flavor. But today, they are used to enhance flavor. And that's the key 'enhance' that you need to turn. And unless you are cooking for others, cook to suit your own taste. If you cook for others, you need to define some medium that would appeal to everyone - and that can be a neat trick since you don't know what everyone might find agreeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

A few of us here cook curries regularly. Try one of Yorky's curries. They are tried and tested. I've also got quite a few Indian style recipes on the forum. What main ingredient would you like to use? There are many vegetarian Indian recipes as well as meat and fish based.

This is an interesting discussion. I've never had an issue with spices, probably because I genuinely enjoy how they taste, and I've been eating food seasoned with spices since I was a toddler. I rarely over do it, maybe because I have good tolerance for spices so they rarely "feel" overdone. I'm not too strict with how and when I add them either. There are some spices I don't like, and use in little quantities because they add an interesting touch when used lightly but I can't go heavy on them. Curries - all curries taste good to me, some better than others but I like them all.

I'm looking forward to the discussion about curries. I've had them when a friend of the family had us at this Indian restaurant but I've never tried making them. I have admired the dishes I've seen posted here with no idea how to even begin.

This is the nub of it. Indian cooking does not lend itself to tasting as you go. If you are used to cooking by taste it will throw you, at least in my experience.
I second this. Indian food, I only taste it in the last stages of cooking to adjust salt and sometimes add more chili powder.

This is the nub of it. Indian cooking does not lend itself to tasting as you go. If you are used to cooking by taste it will throw you, at least in my experience.

I think that is very true. The flavour of the spices develop as the dish cooks and the spices can taste harsh and bitter earlier on in the cooking. At the final stage, I sometimes add garam masala to adjust the taste and brighten the flavour (this is quite a traditional stage in Indian cooking to add garam masala) but other than that, it would be salt to taste at the end.

One problem here is use of the word 'curry' as if it was one type of dish. The word curry isn't really used in India. Indian dishes cover a huge range of ingredients, processes and techniques.

I think that is very true. The flavour of the spices develop as the dish cooks and the spices can taste harsh and bitter earlier on in the cooking. At the final stage, I sometimes add garam masala to adjust the taste and brighten the flavour (this is quite a traditional stage in Indian cooking to add garam masala) but other than that, it would be salt to taste at the end.

One problem here is use of the word 'curry' as if it was one type of dish. The word curry isn't really used in India. Indian dishes cover a huge range of ingredients, processes and techniques.

Many, many years ago I was reluctant to go near an Indian restaurant; the food just didn't taste right to me. And that yellow "curry" that the Chinese chippies dished out was virtually vomit inducing for me.

Then I went to India.

The food out there is in a different league to that served at the time in British Indian restaurants. I was hooked. Then I came across Madhur Jaffrey* and have never looked back. I will say though that the food avilable in British Indian restaurants has improved since the 70s/80s.

Reference "tasting during cooking": I never have done that with Indian food that I cook (my wife tastes during cooking Thai food). The recipes that I use have been tried and tested (by me) and should always produce the same end result (unless I wish to make some minor adjustment). However, when it comes to chilli peppers it's a different story. Thai chillis can vary in strength from 50,000 to 250,000 Shus even in the same batch so my cooked food can end up very hot (which I don't mind).

[Edit: * I should add Mridula Baljekar who has also been an inspiration since]

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the discussion about curries. I've had them when a friend of the family had us at this Indian restaurant but I've never tried making them. I have admired the dishes I've seen posted here with no idea how to even begin.

Perhaps MG would like to make these posts into a new thread on how to make a curry, for beginners.

CD

Then I went to India.

The food out there is in a different league to that served at the time in British Indian restaurants. I was hooked. Then I came across Madhur Jaffrey and have never looked back. I will say though that the food avilable in British Indian restaurants has improved since the 70s/80s.

You're absolutely right about BIR food improving greatly since the 70s/80s; personally I'm quite biased as someone who grew up in the UK alongside BIR food in London, Birmingham, Leicester, Glasgow etc. which are mostly terrific now, and I'm absolutely fascinated by the processes of BIR kitchens (base gravies, pre-cooking, etc.) which I've been trying to replicate at home, but I've also been in various parts of India and eaten the 'real deal(s)'.

I think of them as subtly different rather than one better than the other, with obviously a much wider variety and a lot more amazing vege options in the latter. Now I think about it though, can't wait till this stupid Covid ends so we can travel again and I can visit my colleagues in Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad etc. and go out to eat with them! :)

Although not really a "curry" this very simple cauliflower and potato dish is easy. The spicyness may be adjusted by increasing/decreasing the number of chillis.

Recipe - "Dry" Potato and Cauliflower Curry

Now I think about it though, can't wait till this stupid Covid ends so we can travel again and I can visit my colleagues in Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad etc. and go out to eat with them! :)

My first experience of Raan was in a hotel restaurant in Delhi. I've unsuccessfully tried to emulate the dish but no luck. I think that they may have cooked it in a tandoor.

The restaurant was called "Bukhara" and many years later I discovered a restaurant in Bangkok with the same name. The manager asked me if I'd been there before and I explained not but I've been to a restaurant in Delhi with the same name. "I used to manage that restaurant" he said.

The food was excellent in both.

My first experience of Raan was in a hotel restaurant in Delhi. I've unsuccessfully tried to emulate the dish but no luck. I think that they may have cooked it in a tandoor.

The restaurant was called "Bukhara" and many years later I discovered a restaurant in Bangkok with the same name. The manager asked me if I'd been there before and I explained not but I've been to a restaurant in Delhi with the same name. "I used to manage that restaurant" he said.

The food was excellent in both.

Is it near Nana? I think I've been there.

A few of us here cook curries regularly. Try one of Yorky's curries. They are tried and tested. I've also got quite a few Indian style recipes on the forum. What main ingredient would you like to use? There are many vegetarian Indian recipes as well as meat and fish based.
Thanks for the tip, I will check it out. I am mostly interested in vegetarian recipes, or anything with lamb.

Back
Top Bottom